It is a joyous moment when you buy a new iPhone. After unboxing, the obvious step is setting it up. The setup process is almost the same for all iPhone and iPad models. The on-screen instructions are easy to follow. But there can be a few confusing terms, and you might not know which to choose and how to proceed. Therefore, in this full step-by-step guide, let me start from the basics and show you how to set up an iPhone and iPad.
How to Set Up Your iPhone and iPad
- Press the button on the right side of the device to power it on.
- Swipe up (or press the Home Button) from the ‘Hello’ screen.
- Tap to select the desired language.
- Select your country or region.
- Now, you will be on the Quick Start screen. If you already have another iPhone or iPad running iOS 11 or later, follow the instructions. Or, If you don’t have another device, tap on Set Up Manually.
- Ensure that preferred languages, keyboards, and dictation settings are according to your liking. If yes, tap on Continue. Else, tap Customise Settings.
- Tap to choose a Wi-Fi network, enter its password, and tap on Join. After that, tap on Next.
Note: If you are set up an iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular), you might need to insert your SIM card first.
- Tap Continue on Data & Privacy screen.
- Tap Continue to set up Face ID. On the next screen, tap on Get Started. Follow the simple on-screen instructions. Once Face ID is set up, tap on Continue.
Note: You may also tap on Set Up Later in Settings.
- Create a six-digit passcode. On the next screen, re-enter the same passcode. If you want to set four-digit passcode or custom alphanumeric code or custom numeric code, tap on Passcode Options.
- Now you are on the Apps & Data screen. It is important. So please read carefully.
- Restore from Mac or PC: You can use existing computer backup to set up the new iPhone. The content from the backup will be imported to the new iPhone. If you have not created the backup of your old device, connect it to a computer and do so now. This is usually faster than iCloud Backup.
- Transfer Directly from iPhone: If you have an old iPhone or iPad, you can easily transfer data from the old device to the new one. After this process completes, your new iPhone will feel like a copy of the old iPhone. Home Screen app layouts, settings, email accounts, calendars, reminders, apps, etc. will all be the same.
- Move Data from Android: You can transfer contacts, message history, camera photos and videos, web bookmarks, mail accounts, calendars, and some free apps from your Android phone to the new iPhone.
- Don’t Transfer Apps and Data: This lets you set up your iPhone as completely new. However, when you sign in with an existing Apple ID, you can choose to have all the previous notes, iCloud Photos, messages, contacts, etc.
Since I am setting up a brand new iPhone, I would like to start from scratch. So, I tap on Don’t Transfer Apps & Data. If you choose any other option, follow the on-screen instructions.
Restore from iCloud Backup: If you already have an iPhone or iPad, and you had enabled iCloud Backup, you can use this during the setup process.
- Enter your Apple ID and tap on Next. (Or, depending on your situation, tap on Forgot password or don’t have an Apple ID?) After that, type your Apple ID password and tap Next. If you have another Apple device, you might receive a notification there. Tap/click Allow on that device to see a six-digit code. Now enter this code on the new iPhone.
- On Terms and Conditions screen, tap on Agree.
- Tap Continue on the Express Settings screen. Or, tap Customise Settings to check them individually and decide. Tap Continue on Keep Your iPhone Up to Date screen.
- Tap Continue to use iCloud Keychain. It securely stores your passwords, credit cards, etc. and keeps them updated and available on all your Apple devices. This makes it easy to log in to apps and websites. In case you do not want to use it, tap on Don’t use iCloud Keychain.
- Tap Continue to set up Siri. On the next screen, follow the shown instructions. Or, tap on Set Up Later in Settings.
- After that, choose whether you would like to share audio recordings with Apple or not. I always select Not Now. You can decide accordingly.
- Tap Continue to set up Screen Time. Or, tap on Set Up Later in Settings.
- Choose to share App Analytics or not. I usually tap on Don’t Share.
- On True Tone Display screen, tap Continue. If you do not like this display look, you can change this from the Settings app later.
- Choose between Light or Dark mode and tap Continue.
- Tap Continue on the next few screens.
- You will see the Welcome to iPhone screen. You have successfully set up your new iPhone. Swipe up (or press the Home Button) to see the Home Screen and start using it.
This is how to set up a new iPhone or iPad. Next, open the App Store to download the apps you need. If you are an existing subscriber of services like Spotify, Kindle, YouTube Premium, etc., download these apps and log in using your current details.
You may also like to read:
- How to Transfer Music from Android to iPhone
- Pair Apple Watch with iPhone
- Pair AirPods with iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, Mac and Apple TV
- How to Create an Apple ID without Credit Card