AirPods are currently the most loved wireless earphones delivering an unparalleled experience. Thanks to iCloud integration, it is also simple to connect AirPods to iPhone, Mac, Watch, and other Apple devices, making them your best bet if you own iDevices. But, if you are not a part of the Apple Ecosystem, these wireless earphones are known to deliver seamless connectivity across Windows and Android devices.
Note: Before learning how to pair AirPods to your Apple device, ensure that you own an AirPods-compatible gadget. The list includes Apple devices running iOS 10, iPadOS 13, macOS 10.12, watchOS 3, tvOS 10.2 or later, and Bluetooth audio-supported devices from other non-Apple manufacturers.
Now that you are all set, follow this straightforward guide to get started!
- How to connect AirPods to iPhone and iPad
- How to connect AirPods to Mac
- How to connect AirPods to Apple Watch
- How to connect AirPods to Apple TV
- How to connect AirPods to non-Apple devices
- How to switch AirPods within your Apple devices
- How to unpair AirPods from your iPhone and iPad
- How to unpair AirPods from your Mac
- How to unpair AirPods from your Apple Watch
- How to unpair AirPods from your Apple TV
How to connect AirPods to iPhone and iPad
If you are pairing your AirPods to your iPhone for the first time, follow the below steps;
- Go to Settings → tap Bluetooth → toggle on Bluetooth.
- Open the AirPods case (keep the AirPods inside) and hold it next to your device.
- Long-press the back button on the AirPods’ charging case.
- Next, a small window will pop up on your iPhone. Tap Connect. (the setup guide will appear on the screen.)
- If you are using AirPods Pro or AirPods 2, you get the option to set up Siri. Tap Use Siri and follow the instructions.
- Tap Done.
If you’ve paired your AirPods before with your iPhone, follow the below steps;
- Unlock your iPhone.
- Open the AirPods case and hold it next to your iPhone.
- Tap Connect, then tap Done.
Note: Once you connect AirPods to your iPhone, iCloud will automatically pair it with your iPad signed in to the same Apple ID. If you are unable to pair AirPods with your iPhone, try the below:
- Ensure that your device is running the latest iOS.
- Go to Control Center and check if the Bluetooth is activated.
- Go to Settings → Bluetooth. Ensure your AirPods are selected as your audio device.
- If nothing seems to work, reset your AirPods. Next, wait for 15 seconds before connecting again.
How to connect AirPods to Mac
When you pair AirPods with your iPhone, they will automatically be paired with your Mac. However, your Mac must support Handoff and be signed in to iCloud using the same Apple ID. Once done, open the AirPods case → click the Volume control in the menu bar → select AirPods.
In case your earphones are not connected to your iOS device, you have the option to connect them directly to your Mac.
- Put the AirPods in their case, if they are not already. Open the lid.
- Press and hold the setup button on the back of the case until the status light starts flashing white.
- Next, click the Apple menu on your Mac, select System Preferences.
- Click Bluetooth.
- Finally, select AirPods in the Devices list and then either double-click the device name or right-click and select Connect.
- Further, click ‘Options‘ next to the device name for different options like noise cancellation, transparency, automatic detection, and more.
- Tap the volume button in the menu bar to enable or disable Noise Cancellation or Transparency.
Note: If you are unable to connect AirPods with your Mac, try the following steps:
- Check if your Mac supports AirPods and ensure it is updated to the latest macOS.
- Remove AirPods from the list, and try to pair them again by finding AirPods in the Bluetooth list, clicking the ‘X’ to its right. Then, repeat the pairing process.
- If nothing helped, reset your AirPods. Press and hold the button on the back of the AirPods case for at least 15 seconds until the status light starts to flash amber. Then, try again.
How to connect AirPods to Apple Watch
When you pair AirPods with your iPhone, they automatically connect to your Apple Watch. However, you can connect the smartwatch and the earphones manually like any Bluetooth device.
To do so,
- Put the earphones in the charging case.
- Open the lid.
- Open the Settings app on your Apple Watch, scroll down and tap Bluetooth.
- On your watch, press and hold the setup button on the rear side until the status light starts flashing white.
- Next, the watch will search for the earphones and connect to them. If prompted, enter a passkey or PIN.
How to connect AirPods to Apple TV
- Open AirPods charging case.
Then, you have to press and hold the pairing button located on the back of the case until the light flashes.
- Next, you have to launch Settings on your Apple TV
- Click Remotes and Devices → Bluetooth.
- Finally, select AirPods from the list.
How to connect AirPods to non-Apple devices
You can connect the wireless earphones to your non-Apple devices pretty much the same way as any other Bluetooth device. Simply put the AirPods in the pairing mode (check the method above) → head over to the Bluetooth settings on your device and select the earphones.
How to switch AirPods within your Apple devices
Do you own multiple Apple devices? The primary benefit of owning AirPods is that you can switch them between your Apple devices without hassles. It is incredibly easy and comes in handy.
To know how you can do it, check out our guide on how to switch AirPods with iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac.
How to unpair AirPods from iPhone and iPad
Note: One thing you must know is that when you unpair the earphones from your iPhone, it will automatically disconnect from your iPad, Mac, and Apple Watch. Let’s look at the steps.
- Open the Settings app on your iOS device.
- Tap Bluetooth.
- Tap the i icon next to your AirPods.
- Scroll down and tap Forget this Device → tap Forget Device again to confirm.
Note: In order to unpair other devices that have been paired via an iCloud, tap Forget Device again to confirm.
How to unpair AirPods from Mac
- First off, go to System Preferences → click the Bluetooth icon
- Now, you have to right-click your AirPods in the Bluetooth device section.
- Select Remove.
- You will have to click Forget device again to confirm.
How to unpair AirPods from Apple Watch
The steps are similar to iPhone. In addition, once you unpair your AirPods from your iPhone, they will be automatically disconnected from your Apple Watch.
- Go to Settings.
- Tap Bluetooth.
- Next, tap the i icon next to your AirPods.
- Tap Forget Device.
- Tap Forget Device again to remove the AirPods from all the devices on your iCloud account.
How to unpair AirPods from Apple TV
- Open Settings on your Apple TV.
- Next, you need to click on Remotes and Devices → Bluetooth.
(or General → Bluetooth on third-generation Apple TV or earlier models).
- Locate your headphones in the list and select them.
- Now, you have to select Forget Device.
- Choose Forget Device again to confirm.
Connected AirPods to iPhone, iPad, and other Apple devices?
It’s as simple as that. I hope this guide simplified the steps for pairing your AirPods to your Apple as well as other devices. AirPods are true wireless earphones that offer a great sound experience and Siri support. Hence, undoubtedly they are my first choice.
What are the qualities that you found adorable in the wireless earphones? Plus, tell us about the features you’d like to see in the next-gen earphones.
You’d like to snap a quick look at these posts as well: