AirPods are currently the most loved wireless earphones delivering an unparalleled listening experience. Thanks to iCloud integration, it’s also simple to connect AirPods to your iPhone, Mac, Watch, and other Apple devices. But, if you’re not a part of the Apple Ecosystem, these wireless earphones are known to deliver seamless connectivity across Windows and Android devices.
Note: Before learning how to pair AirPods to your Apple device, make sure you own an AirPods-compatible gadget. The list includes Apple devices running iOS 10, iPadOS 13, macOS 10.12, watchOS 3, tvOS 10.2 or later, and Bluetooth audio-supported devices from other non-Apple manufacturers.
Now that you’re all set, follow this straightforward guide to get started!
- How to connect AirPods to iPhone and iPad
- How to connect AirPods to Mac
- How to connect AirPods to Apple Watch
- How to connect AirPods to Apple TV
- How to connect AirPods to other non-Apple devices
- How to change AirPods connection within your Apple devices
- How to unpair AirPods from your iPhone and iPad
- How to unpair AirPods from your Mac
- How to unpair AirPods from your Apple Watch
- How to unpair AirPods from your Apple TV
How to connect AirPods to iPhone and iPad
If you’re pairing your AirPods to your iPhone for the first time, follow the steps below:
- Go to Settings → tap Bluetooth → toggle on Bluetooth.
- Open the AirPods case (keep the AirPods inside) and hold it next to your device.
- Long-press the back button on the AirPods’ charging case.
- Next, a small window will pop up on your iPhone. Tap Connect. (the setup guide will appear on the screen.)
- If you’re using AirPods Pro or AirPods 2, you get the option to set up Siri. Tap Use Siri and follow the instructions.
- Tap Done.
If you’ve paired your AirPods before with your iPhone, follow the below steps;
- Unlock your iPhone.
- Open the AirPods case and hold it next to your iPhone.
- Tap Connect, then tap Done.
Note: Once you connect your AirPods to your iPhone, iCloud will automatically pair it with the iPad signed in to the same Apple ID. If you’re unable to pair AirPods with your iPhone, try the below steps:
- Ensure that your device is running the latest version of iOS.
- Go to Control Center and check if Bluetooth is activated.
- Go to Settings → Bluetooth. Ensure your AirPods are selected as your audio device.
- If nothing seems to work, reset your AirPods. Then, wait for 15 seconds before connecting again.
How to connect AirPods to Mac
When you pair AirPods with your iPhone, they will automatically be paired with your Mac. However, your Mac must support Handoff and be signed in to iCloud using the same Apple ID. Once done, open the AirPods case → click the Volume control in the menu bar → select AirPods.
If your earphones aren’t connected to your iOS device, you have the option to connect them directly to your Mac.
- Put the AirPods in their case, if they’re not already. Open the lid.
- Press and hold the setup button on the back of the case until the status light starts flashing white.
- Next, click the Apple menu on your Mac, then select System Preferences.
- Click Bluetooth.
- Finally, select AirPods in the Devices list and then either double-click the device name or right-click and select Connect.
- Further, click Options next to the device name for different options like noise cancellation, transparency, automatic detection, and more.
- Tap the volume button in the menu bar to enable or disable Noise Cancellation or Transparency.
Note: If you’re unable to connect AirPods to your Mac, try the following steps:
- Check if your Mac supports AirPods and ensure it’s updated to the latest macOS.
- Remove AirPods from the list and try to pair them again by finding AirPods in the Bluetooth list, clicking the ‘X’ to its right. Then, repeat the pairing process.
- If nothing helped, reset your AirPods. Press and hold the button on the back of the AirPods case for at least 15 seconds until the status light starts to flash amber. Then, try again.
How to connect AirPods to Apple Watch
When you pair your AirPods with your iPhone, they automatically connect to your Apple Watch. However, you can connect the smartwatch and the earphones manually like any Bluetooth device.
To do so,
- Put the earphones in the charging case.
- Open the lid.
- Open Settings on your Apple Watch, scroll down and tap Bluetooth.
- On your watch, press and hold the setup button on the rear side until the status light starts flashing white.
- Next, the watch will search for the earphones and connect to them. If prompted, enter a passkey or PIN.
How to connect AirPods to Apple TV
- Open AirPods charging case.
Then, you have to press and hold the pairing button located on the back of the case until the light flashes.
- Next, launch Settings on your Apple TV
- Click Remotes and Devices → Bluetooth.
- Finally, select AirPods from the list.
How to connect AirPods to other non-Apple devices
You can connect the wireless headphones to your non-Apple devices pretty much the same way as any other Bluetooth device. Simply put the AirPods in pairing mode (check the method above) → head over to the Bluetooth settings on your device and select the headphones.
How to change AirPods connection within your Apple devices
Do you own multiple Apple devices? The primary benefit of owning AirPods is that you can switch them between your Apple devices without a hassle. It’s incredibly easy and comes in handy.
To learn how you can do it, check out our guide on how to switch AirPods with iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac.
How to unpair AirPods from iPhone and iPad
Note: One thing you must know is that when you unpair the earphones from your iPhone, it will automatically disconnect from your iPad, Mac, and Apple Watch. Let’s look at the steps.
- Open Settings on your iOS device.
- Tap Bluetooth.
- Tap the i icon next to your AirPods.
- Scroll down and tap Forget this Device → tap Forget Device again to confirm.
Note: In order to unpair other devices that have been paired via iCloud, tap Forget Device again to confirm.
How to unpair AirPods from Mac
- First off, go to System Preferences → click the Bluetooth icon
- Now, you have to right-click your AirPods in the Bluetooth device section.
- Select Remove.
- Click Forget device again to confirm.
How to unpair AirPods from Apple Watch
The steps are similar to on the iPhone. In addition, once you unpair your AirPods from your iPhone, they’ll automatically disconnect from your Apple Watch.
- Go to Settings.
- Tap Bluetooth.
- Next, tap the i icon next to your AirPods.
- Tap Forget Device.
- Tap Forget Device again to remove the AirPods from all the devices on your iCloud account.
How to unpair AirPods from Apple TV
- Open Settings on your Apple TV.
- Next, click on Remotes and Devices → Bluetooth.
(or General → Bluetooth on third-generation Apple TV or earlier models).
- Locate your headphones in the list and select them.
- Now, select Forget Device.
- Choose Forget Device again to confirm.
Connected AirPods are the backbone of the Apple ecosystem
It’s as simple as that. I hope this guide simplified the steps for pairing your AirPods to your Apple as well as other devices. AirPods are true wireless earphones that offer a great sound experience and Siri support. Hence, undoubtedly they’re my first choice for music and video streaming.
What qualities stood out to you with your AirPods? We’d love to hear about the features you’d like to see in next-gen earphones. Who knows what Apple’s headphones will look like in 10 years?
You’d like to snap a quick look at these posts as well: