Most of us rely on our phones for everything, including waking up in the morning. So it can be quite an inconvenience when your iPhone alarm is not working. After all, you might not have a traditional alarm clock or a smartwatch, or other devices to use instead. But don’t worry, I’ve got some solutions to help you out. Try the below tips to fix the iPhone alarm not working.
- Check The Mute Switch and iPhone Speaker
- Change Alarm Sound on Your iPhone
- Increase the Alarm Volume
- Ensure the Alarm Time is Correct
- Restart Your iPhone
- Delete All the Existing Alarms and Start Afresh
- Uninstall Third-Party Alarm Apps
- Tweak Bedtime Settings
- Disconnect Bluetooth or Wired Headphones
- Update Your iPhone
- Reset All iPhone Settings
Check The Mute Switch and iPhone Speaker
Alarms sound even when the mute switch is one. But in case you face related issues, make sure the silent switch is pushed up.
Secondly, ensure your iPhone speaker is working correctly. One way to test is to play a song from any app like Music, YouTube, Spotify, etc. If you find no problem here, let us get on with the next fixes.
Change Alarm Sound on Your iPhone
Now let us ensure that a tone or song is set for the alarm. For this,
- Open the Clock app and tap on the Alarm.
- Tap on Edit. Next, tap on the desired alarm.
- Tap on Sound. Ensure ‘None‘ is not selected.
- Scroll the list and choose a ringtone. Tap on a name to hear it. Make sure you select a loud one. Tap <Back.
- Tap on Save.
Increase the Alarm Volume
- Open the Settings app and tap on Sounds & Haptics.
- Drag the slider all the way to the right.
- If you often find yourself with a decreased alarm or ringtone volume, disable the toggle for Change with Buttons. From now, when you press the volume buttons, it won’t affect any system sound except media (music, videos, etc.).
Ensure the Alarm Time is Correct
This is again a basic test, but sometimes people tend to set the alarm for 7 PM when they actually wanted it for 7 AM. To make sure, this is not the case with you, open the Clock app → Alarm → and double-check the alarm time.
Restart Your iPhone
Several kinds of petite and significant problems are fixed by switching off your iPhone and switching it on after a minute. This is called a restart. You can use the physical buttons or open the Settings app → General → Shut Down → drag the slider to right. After a minute, use the button to turn on the iPhone.
Delete All the Existing Alarms and Start Afresh
Alarm you set once manually or using Siri stays in the list. This makes a long entry of alarm times. To decrease or eliminate confusion, consider deleting the unnecessary alarm entries. Once you do that, add a new alarm by tapping on the plus icon, or ask Siri like ‘Set an alarm for 7 AM.‘
Uninstall Third-Party Alarm Apps
If you have alarm apps besides the inbuilt Clock app, consider uninstalling them. In rare cases, this should fix the issue you are facing.
Some third-party alarm apps need you to keep the screen on at night to work correctly. It is best to stick with the default iOS alarm function as it gets the job done. If you insist on using an app from the App Store, make sure you read and follow the instructions it asks – like notification access, etc.
Tweak Bedtime Settings
I have a mixed feeling about the Bedtime feature. Initially, I used it. But now I don’t. In rare instances, if the Bedtime wake-up time and the alarm time overlap, it might cause problems.
To address this, you can change the time of either. Or, turn off the Bedtime feature.
Disconnect Bluetooth or Wired Headphones
If you leave wireless or wired earphones connected to your iPhone, then in unusual situations, it might output the sound through it and not the speaker. To address this, disconnect or unplug them.
Note: Alarm sound is essential. Thus, even when your iPhone is silent or has earphones connected, the alarm tone is played via the device speakers. But in some situations, errors happen. Mostly, a simple restart or hard reboot fixes these.
Update Your iPhone
Running an un-updated iOS version and facing repeated alarm problems? To fix this, update to the latest software by launching the Settings app → General → Software Update.
Reset All iPhone Settings
None of the above solutions bring any luck? Do you still not hear the alarm tone on your iPhone? Try resetting all settings.
Note: This will reset or erase all iPhone settings to the default state.
- Open the Settings app and tap on General.
- Scroll down and tap on Reset.
- Tap on Reset All Settings.
- Enter your device passcode.
- Confirm by tapping Reset All Settings.
These are eleven ways to fix almost all alarm problems on your iPhone successfully. It is a primary feature that is useful for millions of users. If the above article did not help, try to contact Apple Support or take your device to the nearest Apple Store for inspection.