To have sound sleep is essential for physical, emotional, and mental wellbeing. Improper sleep cycles can affect your mood, creativity, and productivity, which is why in iOS 14, the Sleep Schedule feature (called Bedtime in iOS 13 and 12) is quite essential. In this post, we’ve explained how to set up and use Bedtime for sleep tracking on the iPhone. Let’s learn about its workings and make the most of this handy option!
- How Does Bedtime Know When You Go to Bed?
- How to Setup Bedtime on iPhone in iOS 14
- How to Turn On or Off Bedtime on iPhone
- How to Change the Time Or Days for Bedtime Alarms
- How to Customize Bedtime Alarm
- How to Check Your Sleep History
How Does Bedtime Know When You Go to Bed?
Between work, family, friends, smartphone, Netflix shows, online shopping, we often compromise on a steady sleep cycle. The Bedtime feature is dedicated to improving your sleep.
After you set a bedtime and wake-up time, the Clock app will remind you to go to bed and wake you up when it’s time. But that’s not all; you can even track your sleep. While not as accurate as some third-party sleep tracking apps, it still does a pretty decent job.
Note: Earlier Bedtime was in the Clock app on both the iPhone and iPad. But with iOS 14, it is now in the Health app. However, since the Health app is not present on the iPad, you will find this option in the Clock app on the latest iPadOS 14.
How to Setup Bedtime on iPhone in iOS 14
- Open the Health app and tap on Browse.
- Tap on Sleep.
- Tap on Get Started → Next.
- Under sleep goal, by default, it shows 8 hours. You can change it by tapping the minus (-) or plus (+) buttons. After this, tap on Next.
- Set your schedule. By default, all days are selected. Suppose you do not want the alarm to ring on Saturday or Sunday (or any chosen day), tap on the initial (S) to deselect them. Next, choose the Bedtime (when you want to be reminded about going to sleep) and wake up time. Drag the ends of the rotator to change the time. See the screenshot below.Scroll to the bottom. The default options here are suitable. But if needed, you may change them – like Sound, Snooze, etc. Finally, tap on Add from the top right.
- Review your settings. If you had excluded some days (like Saturday, Sunday), you might also Add a Schedule For Other Days. The steps are the same. Finally, tap on Next.
- Accordingly, choose to Enable Sleep Mode or not.
- Read the description for Wind Down and choose to enable it or not.
- You can choose to set up Wind Down Shortcuts. For this, tap on Set Up Shortcuts → select the desired shortcut (I like to listen to Spotify before falling asleep). Tap on Next.After this, the lockscreen will have a ‘Shortcuts’ button. When you tap on it, you can choose the desired Shortcut and go there directly. This eliminates the need to open the Home screen and see app badges or notifications – things that would invite you to check them and disturb your sleep.
- Finally, review the settings one last time and tap on Done.
You have successfully set up the Bedtime schedule.
How to Turn On or Off Bedtime on iPhone
Do not want to use Bedtime permanently or temporarily for a few days? Here’s how to effortlessly turn it off or on.
- Open the Health app → Browse → Sleep.
- Tap on the card that says Full Schedule & Options.
- Turn off the toggle for Sleep Schedule. Follow the same steps to turn it back on.
How to Change the Time Or Days for Bedtime Alarms
- Open the Health app → Browse → Sleep.
- Tap on Full Schedule & Options card.
- Tap on Edit.
- Under Days Active, tap to select or deselect the days.
- Under Bedtime and Wake Up, drag the ends to reconfigure the Bedtime and wake up time.
- Tap on Done to save the new changes.
How to Customize Bedtime Alarm
In iOS 14, options are simplified. Everything is under proper tabs. All you have to do is carefully read the option name, the text below it, and make changes as desired. Here’s some guidance on how to customize the Sleep Schedule on iPhone.
- Start by launching the Health app. Tap on Browse → Sleep.
- Tap on the card for Full Schedule & Options. We already saw how to change time, days, or enable and disable Sleep Schedule in the above section. So, let us scroll down and focus on Additional Details.
- Tap on Sleep Goal to change it.
- Tap on Wind Down to re-set it as desired.
- Tap on Wind Down Shortcuts to add another shortcut or remove the existing one.
- Tap on Options. All toggles here are enabled. These default settings are perfect for most. But you can read the text below each option and disable them if needed.
How to Check Your Sleep History
- Open the Health app and tap on Browse. Next, tap on Sleep.
- The first graph here shows your sleep data. Tap on W (week) or M (month) to view the desired graphs.
- Tap on Show More Sleep Data to dive deep. Here you can see the average time in bed, average time asleep, etc.
- To manually enter sleep data, tap on Add Data from the top right.
- If you use your iPhone when you’re supposed to be in bed, you won’t get credit for that time. Or, if you snooze the Wake alarm, the time that you stay in bed updates to match.
Bedtime tracks time that you spend in bed, not how much or how well? Additionally, it reminds you to sleep and does not help you fall asleep. But you can always use third-party sleep-inducing apps to help you sleep.
I hope our thorough guide could benefit you!
Here are some more related posts you would like to explore: