- What Data Does Sleep Tracking Monitor?
- How to Activate Sleep Tracking in watchOS 7?
- What is Wind Down Mode?
- How does Wind Down work?
- Where to Find Apple Watch Sleep Tracking Data?
What Data Does Sleep Tracking Monitor?
It’s not clear yet what specific data will be monitored by the sleep tracking feature on watchOS 7. However, Apple has revealed that it will use machine learning to monitor your sleep motion from the wrist.
Further, it will keep track of micromovements, such as the rise and fall of your breath, to assess the quality of your sleep. The focus will be on promoting better sleep hygiene rather than merely providing data insights.
How to Activate Sleep Tracking in watchOS 7?
Apple is introducing a new Sleep App in watchOS 7 that you can use to activate sleep tracking on your Apple Watch.
You can plan out your sleep and use your Apple Watch to monitor your sleep cycles. This can help you create routines to achieve your sleep goals.
- On your Apple Watch, open the Sleep App and you set your first schedule. You can choose to monitor sleep every day or only on specific days of the week.
- You can then set your Wakeup Time and choose to Set An Alarm or have no alarm
- Then, you can set your target Bedtime and tap Next to finalize.
- You can repeat the process to set other sleep schedules as required. For instance, if you want to sleep for different hours on weekends and weekdays
- When enabled, Sleep Tracking will automatically turn on Do Not Disturb before your bedtime and help you get in a relaxed frame of mind with Wind Down.
What is Wind Down Mode?
How Does Wind Down work?
1. Wind Down Screen
2. Do Not Disturb
Wind Down will turn on Do Not Disturb on your iPhone and prevent your screen from lighting up with notifications. This will help you stay away from any distractions so you can calm down and relax as you prepare for bed.
3. Wind Down Shortcuts
On the Wind Down screen, you will see suggested apps to help you relax, such as your favorite meditation app or Music. This can help soothe your mind and get you in the ideal relaxed state for sound sleep.
4. Apple Watch Sleep Mode
Lastly, just like your iPhone, your Apple Watch screen will also dim and enter Sleep Mode. This means the display will be turned off, and when tapped, a sleep timer will appear.
As for waking up the next morning, you can set a gentle alarm or even choose to be woken with the haptic touch that will buzz you awake without disturbing anyone else in the room.
You will rise to see a greeting on your watch screen along with an indication of the battery level so that you can remember to charge it if needed.
Note: If your Apple Watch battery is running too low an hour ahead of bedtime, you will be reminded to charge it for uninterrupted sleep tracking.
Where to Find Apple Watch Sleep Tracking Data?
When you wake up in the morning, you will see a visualization of your night’s slumber, including periods of wake and sleep. You will also see a chart showing your weekly sleep trend.
This data will be integrated into a new Sleep section on the Health app on your iPhone.
There you will get insights about your sleep and sleep schedules as well as how they vary over time.
Sleep tracking and all its useful features will also be available in iOS 14 on your iPhone even if you don’t use an Apple Watch. What are your thoughts about it? Let us know in the comments below. Also, in case you have an older Apple Watch that does not support watchOS 7, there are many third-party sleep tracking apps you can use.
You may also like to view:
- How to Download iOS 14 Developer Beta on iPhone
- Download iOS 14 Wallpapers
- How to Download iPadOS 14 Developer Beta