Apple recommends iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 for all compatible devices as they add useful new features, fix bugs, and enhance your device’s overall security. Besides this, new updates also improve the overall ecosystem connectivity and ensure that the iPhone works well with companion devices like AirPods, Apple Watch, and more.
Here, we explain three ways to update your iPhone to iOS 15.
- How to update your iPhone to iOS 15
- Automatically upgrade your iPhone to iOS 15
- How to update your iPhone to iOS 15 using Mac or PC
Prepare your iPhone for update
Besides this, you must have a stable Wi-Fi connection, at least 50% battery or plugged into charging, and enough free storage.
How to update your iPhone to iOS 15
- Open Settings and tap General.
- Tap Software Update.
- Tap Download and Install. Follow the simple on-screen instructions.
If ‘automatic download‘ is enabled, you may see Install Now in step 3 above.
In case you have difficulty updating, please see our post on what to do if you can’t download the iOS update.
Automatically upgrade your iPhone to iOS 15
- Inside Settings, tap General.
- Tap Software Update.
- Tap Automatic Updates or Customize Automatic Updates.
- Toggle on Automatic Updates or Download iOS Updates.
You may also enable Install iOS Updates.
From now, when a new update is available, the iPhone will automatically download it over Wi-Fi. It can also automatically install the update if the iPhone is charging overnight and connected to Wi-Fi.
How to update your iPhone to iOS 15 using Mac or PC
Besides the easy method of updating over the air, you can also use a computer to get the latest iOS 15 or iPadOS 15 on your devices.
On Windows PC and Mac running macOS Mojave and earlier, use iTunes. On Mac running macOS Catalina and macOS Big Sur, use Finder. The steps are almost the same, and you can follow them effortlessly.
- Connect your iPhone or iPad using an appropriate cable to the computer.
- In iTunes, click the tiny device icon. In Finder, click the device name from the left sidebar.
- Click Trust if you see it on the computer screen.
- Next, tap Trust on the iPhone and enter its passcode.
- From the Summary tab in iTunes and General tab in Finder, click Check for Update or Update.
- Click Update. Follow the on-screen instructions, if any.
- Click Next → Agree → enter the passcode on the iPhone, if asked.
iOS download will begin. Depending on your device and the internet speed, it may take considerable time to download the file, prepare the update, and install it. Do not disconnect the device midway.
I hope you now know how to update the software on the iPhone or iPad. The easiest method is the first one – from the device settings app. Which route are you taking? Kindly share your thoughts below.
After the release of a new iOS version, most developers update their apps for better compatibility. So once you install iOS 15, in the next few days, update the apps from the App Store too.