What to know about iOS 16 stuck on Update Requested:
- It is normal to experience this when a new iOS version is released. Waiting for some time helps.
- But if you have been waiting for too long, restart your iPhone to solve this problem.
- And when nothing helps, reset all settings by opening Settings → General → Reset → Reset All Settings. After this, try updating your iPhone. It will work.
Whenever Apple introduces a new version of iOS, people across the globe rush to download it and be among the first users. Due to this, it is normal for iOS 16 to stay stuck on the ‘Update Requested’ screen for a while as the Apple servers get overloaded. However, if the screen stays stagnant for a very long time, here are the fixes.
Once you follow the steps mentioned here, you can download iOS 16 and install it successfully.
- Force quit the Settings app
- Check your Wi-Fi connection and restart the router
- Restart your iPhone
- Delete the iOS file if visible
- Free space on your iPhone
- Reset network settings
- Update using a computer
1. Force quit the Settings app
The first solution is to force quit the Settings app. For this, swipe up from the bottom of the screen on iPhone with Face ID and hold. On iPhone with a Home button, quickly double press it. Next, drag the Settings app card up to force close it.
After a few seconds, open the app again and see if the problem is solved or not.
2. Check your Wi-Fi connection and restart the router
Make sure you have fast, reliable Wi-Fi. Restart the Wi-Fi router, which will improve the connectivity, making it easier to download iOS 16.
Additionally, ensure you have turned off any VPN on your iPhone (if enabled). And if none of this help, connect your iPhone to a different Wi-Fi network. This will most likely start the new iOS download.
3. Restart your iPhone
Another working way to fix the iOS update stuck on the update requested screen is to restart the iPhone. This will refresh things that may help you start downloading iOS 16. So, go ahead and turn off your iPhone and turn it back on after a minute.
4. Delete the iOS file if visible
- Open iPhone Settings and tap General.
- Tap iPhone Storage.
- Scroll down, and if you see any file named iOS 16, tap it.
- From the next screen, tap Delete Update.
- Next, restart your iPhone and follow the steps to download iOS 16 again.
5. Free space on your iPhone
If you do not have sufficient space on your iPhone, the entire update process will not work correctly. To fix this, delete some unnecessary apps, photos, videos, music, and files, to empty around six-seven gigabytes of storage. If you need detailed instructions, learn how to free space on your iPhone.
6. Reset network settings
When none of the above solutions work, reset the network settings. This will remove all custom settings related to things like carrier and Wi-Fi.
- Open Settings and tap General.
- Tap Transfer or Reset iPhone.
- Tap Reset → Reset Network Settings and proceed.
- After this completes, try downloading the update again. It will work.
And in the rare case, if resetting the network is not enough, reset all settings. The steps are the same as above. Just make sure to select Reset All Settings in step 3.
7. Update using a computer
At last, if nothing helps, consider updating to iOS 16 using your Mac or PC. You will need iTunes on old Macs or Windows PC. And on macOS Catalina and later, Finder does the job. Head over to this guide to learn how to update your iPhone using a computer.
These are the solutions to fix the iOS 16 stuck on preparing the update screen. I hope these solutions worked for you, and now you can enjoy the new and exciting version of iOS. If you need further help, please ask via the comments section below.
You may also like to read: