Deleting rarely used apps might be the best solution to manage the storage of your iOS device. There are multiple ways to delete apps on the iPhone and iPad, including built-in apps. We have listed all the methods below so that you can choose the one you find easiest.
- Which apps can be deleted from iPhone and iPad?
- Why can’t you delete certain built-in apps?
- How to delete apps from App Library in iOS 15 or 14
- How to delete apps in iOS 13
- Delete multiple apps on iPhone and iPad
- How to delete apps using Settings
- How to delete apps from App Store update
- Reinstall deleted apps on your iPhone and iPad
Which apps can be deleted from iPhone and iPad?
You can delete downloaded apps and some of the built-in apps. Below are the stock apps that you can remove from your iPhone and iPad.
- Apple Books
- Find My Friends (iOS 12 only)
- iTunes Store
- Voice Memos
In most cases, when you remove the app, its data is also deleted. However, certain exceptions like the Contacts app, maintain its data in your device.
Note: If you delete the Music app or Books app, etc., you can not use them with CarPlay.
Why can’t you delete certain built-in apps?
You may find that certain stock apps can’t be deleted because these apps are an integral part of the iOS operating system. Thus Apple does not allow users to mess with them.
If these fundamental apps are removed, it may hinder the entire working of the device. Here’s a full list of apps that cannot be removed.
- App Store
- Find My
How to delete apps from App Library in iOS 15 or 14
After you updated your device with iOS 15, you have App Library. It is easy to delete apps from it as well.
- Touch and hold in an empty area of the App Library screen.
Like space where corners of four categories converge
- Tap the ‘x’ icon from the top left of the app icon
- Tap Delete.
If you want to delete apps that are deep inside the App Library category, enter the jiggling mode and tap the small app icons.
How to delete apps in iOS 13
The process of deleting stock apps and downloaded apps remains the same.
- From the iPhone Home screen, tap and hold an app icon until you see a pop-up.
- Tap Delete App and then confirm.
Delete multiple apps on iPhone and iPad
- Tap and hold any app icon until the menu appears
- Tap Edit Home Screen and the app icons will start jiggling.
- Tap the cross icon and then tap Delete.
How to delete apps using Settings
- Open Settings on your device
- Tap General → iPhone Storage.
- From the list, tap on an individual app
- Tap Delete App and confirm.
Here you can also offload the app. This keeps the app data but removes the app itself.
How to delete apps from the App Store update
You can not delete stock apps using this method. This is because, unlike third-party apps, built-in apps are not updated normally from the App Store. Instead, Apple pushes a version of iOS update if it needs to make changes in stock apps.
- From the Home screen, tap and hold on the App Store icon
- Tap Updates from the pop-up.
- Here you will see pending updates or the recently updated apps. Swipe right to left on an app and then tap Delete.
Reinstall deleted apps on your iPhone and iPad
To re-download deleted apps, open the App Store, and search for the exact app name. Next, tap the cloud icon. You will see the app on your Home screen.
These are some of the ways to delete apps on the iPhone and iPad. Let us know in the comments below if you’re looking for any more iOS tips and tricks.