Is someone annoying you on iMessage? You can block them. And it's now very simple too thanks to Apple making some concrete changes to iOS's ability to block (works on iOS 7 and iOS 8).
Back in iOS 6, you couldn't block a person and that was really bad. The workarounds included turning off iMessage completely (ugliest solution) to using some trick like adding the number under a dummy contact with a name like ‘Blocked' or something identifiable. But iOS 7 lets you block someone from sending you an iMessage (or even making a call or sending a text). The feature extends to iOS 8 and iOS 9 too. Here's how to block someone.
Blocking someone on your iPhone effectively blocks them from even being able to call you or text you (regular SMS/MMS). For our purposes, we assume that this is the use-case.
How to block someone from sending you iMessages on iPhone:
- Open the Settings app
- Scroll down and tap on Messages
- Now, scroll down again and tap on Blocked
- To add a person to this list, tap on Add New..
- Choose the contact and tap on Done
Watch out how to block or unblock someone on iMessage:
There are times people tend to get annoyed when they receive repeated messages from unknown numbers. If you don’t want to receive such useless messages, you can block unknown numbers from sending you iMessages. Guess, it’s equally easy. Here you are!
How to Block Unknown Callers on iPhone:
- Launch Phone app.
- Tap on Recents with clock symbol from the bottom.
- You will see all the recent phone numbers which you have sent/received. Search the unknown phone number which you want to block from sending you iMessages. Once you have found the unknown number, tap on “i” icon which will be on the right of the number.
- Scroll down and tap on Block this caller.
- Tap on Block Contact.
That’s it! You won’t receive iMessages, phone calls and even Face Time from this unknown number.
What if you want to remove the contact itself and block the number? That's not possible (at least, not yet) unless you call up your carrier and have them block a number. You could also login to your account on your carrier's portal and add the number to the blacklist. Changes would take effect quite late.
There's also another option to stop getting notifications when someone sends you an iMessage without missing other message notifications. This process involves two steps:
- Remove the contact from your phone/address book
- Go to Settings → Notifications → Messages → scroll down and select Show Alerts from My Contacts.
This way, you won't get notifications for iMessages sent from unknown numbers (or numbers that are not in your contacts). But it won't block.
Want to block someone from calling you? Check out this tutorial which is almost the same as above.