What to know about updating AirPods firmware
- To be straightforward, you do not have to do anything as AirPods update automatically.
- You can see the current AirPods version using iPhone Settings → Bluetooth → i next to AirPods name. Now match it with the latest firmware version mentioned below.
Firmware updates for AirPods are published occasionally and happen automatically without your intervention. In addition to better and improved connectivity, these updates fix existing issues or introduce something new. Recently, Apple released the 3E756 firmware update for AirPods Max, the second update since its release.
If you are wondering how to update your AirPods Max, or even check your AirPods or AirPods Pro’s firmware, here are the steps to do that.
- About AirPods firmware update
- Steps to check the firmware version of any AirPods
- How to update AirPods 1st gen, 2nd gen, and AirPods Pro
- How to update AirPods Max to firmware 3E756
About AirPods firmware update
Unlike iOS updates, Apple usually doesn’t mention what the new AirPods firmware update includes. Plus, there are no official steps to update the AirPods. It happens automatically when the wireless buds are connected to your iPhone, and the phone is charging.
The latest firmware versions are:
- AirPods (1st gen): 6.8.8
- AirPods (2nd gen and Pro): 3E751
- AirPods Max: 3E756
Now, let us see how to check your AirPods existing firmware and, if needed, how to ensure it updates.
Steps to check the firmware version of any AirPods
- Ensure you have connected the AirPods to your iPhone.
- Open iPhone Settings and tap General.
- Tap About.
- Scroll down and tap your AirPods name to see the Firmware Version.
- Open iPhone Settings and tap Bluetooth.
- Tap (i) next to the AirPods name to see the firmware version.
If the version displayed here is the latest, you do not have to do anything. Enjoy! If it is outdated, your iPhone will automatically download and install the firmware on your AirPods. You can also follow the steps below to prepare and try forcing the update.
How to update AirPods 1st gen, 2nd gen, and AirPods Pro
- Put the AirPods inside their charging case and connect them to power via Lightning cable or Wireless charger.
- Make sure your iPhone is connected to a stable Wi-Fi network. It would also help to put the iPhone in charging. Also, ensure Low Power Mode is off.
- Now, keep the iPhone and the AirPods case close and wait for a few minutes.
How to update AirPods Max to firmware 3E756
- Connect AirPods Max with your iPhone and use it for a few seconds.
- Pause the music and put AirPods Max inside their Smart Case.
- Now, insert the Lightning cable and put the AirPods Max in charging.
- Ensure your iPhone is connected to stable Wi-Fi.
- Keep AirPods Max and iPhone close and undisturbed for a few minutes.
This is how to update your AirPods and enjoy all the latest features Apple has for your wireless audio device. If you have additional questions, please reach me via the comments section below.
Other helpful posts: