Keyboard lagging issues on iPhone can be super annoying. It slows down your typing or may even result in misspelled words. The issue occurs in many apps, from Messages and Facebook to Safari and more. A quick fix is changing the keyboard, but you may not always want to do this. Instead, let’s look at some possible solutions for fixing the keyboard lag on iPhone and iPad.
- Force restart your Phone
- Reset keyboard dictionary
- Disable predictive text on iOS device
- Toggle on/off Reduce Motion
- Disable all keyboard settings on iPhone
- Update your iPhone to the latest iOS version
1. Force restart your iPhone
The first step to fixing any issue on your phone is rebooting it. Doing a force restart gets rid of any minor glitches and can solve keyboard lag on iOS 15.
- On iPhone 6S or earlier: Press the Home and Power buttons at the same time until you see the Apple logo.
- On iPhone 7 and 7 Plus: Press and hold the Side button and Volume Down button for at least 10 seconds until the Apple logo shows up on the screen.
- On an iPhone 8 or later: Quickly press and let go of the Volume Up button. Then quickly press and let go of the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold down the Side button until you see the Apple logo on the screen.
Check out this post to know more about force restarting your iPhone and iPad.
2. Reset keyboard dictionary
Sometimes there may be a compatibility issue with your keyboard data from iOS 13 when you move over to iOS 14. To fix this, resetting the keyboard dictionary is a proven method to troubleshoot keyboard lag issues on the iPhone and iPad.
Of course, this will restore your keyboard dictionary to the default, and any saved made-up words or slang will be erased.
- Go to Settings → General → Reset.
- Tap Reset Keyboard Dictionary enter your Passcode. Then tap Reset Dictionary.
3. Disable predictive text on iOS device
The predictive text feature on the iOS keyboard helps you type faster by suggesting the next words you might want to use. However, it can cause sluggish performance at times, so try disabling it as follows:
- Go to Settings → General → Keyboard.
- Scroll down and toggle off Predictive Keyboard.
If you still experience a slow keyboard on iPhone and iPad, try the next steps below.
4. Toggle on/off Reduce Motion
The motion settings on your iPhone control the aesthetics of using your device. These include visual effects like app transitions and the keyboard popping open and close. Enabling or disabling such animations can help solve the problem of a laggy keyboard.
- Go to Settings → Accessibility.
- Select Motion to see a list of visual effects options.
- If Reduce Motion is turned on, toggle it off. If it is already off, toggle it on.
See if this fixes your keyboard issues. If not, continue to the next steps below.
5. Disable all keyboard settings on iPhone
Your iPhone or iPad keyboard has plenty of customization options like autocorrect, smart punctuation, auto-capitalization, spelling check, etc.
It’s worth disabling each of these features one by one to check if it solves the keyboard lag issue.
- Go to Settings → General.
- Select the Keyboard.
- Disable each option on the list, turn by turn and test your keyboard. Or, simply disable all and see if it fixes the issue.
6. Update Your iPhone to the latest iOS version
You are probably already using the latest version of iOS or iPadOS, but in any case, you should check if there’s an update available. Apple often releases patches that fix bugs like the keyboard lag issue, so you should install any updates when they are available.
Go to Settings → General → Software Update.
If there’s an update available, follow the on-screen instructions to install it.
Hopefully, this guide helped you fix the keyboard lag issue on your iPhone or iPad. In case the problem persists, you can try to use a third-party keyboard until Apple offers a permanent solution.
The hard reset was the only thing that killed the keyboard lag on my iPad Air 2.