The importance of staying connected with friends, family, and colleagues cannot go unnoticed. So, sharing contact with our loved ones or our new connections should not be a hassle. Apple understood this and rolled out NameDrop with iOS 17. This feature lets you quickly and seamlessly exchange contacts with another iPhone or Apple Watch in just a few taps. Keep reading to learn how to use NameDrop with iOS 17 on iPhone.
How NameDrop works on iPhone
It’s important to note that it does not indiscriminately share contact details with every nearby iPhone.
- For the data transmission to occur, the top ends of both iPhones must be near each other, utilizing near-field communication (NFC). NFC is designed for short-distance data transmission and requires a specific physical alignment.
- It’s also crucial to understand that NameDrop requires the device owner’s consent to operate.
- When NameDrop is triggered through the proximity gesture, the user’s contact information appears on their own screen. This provides both users with two options: Share, allowing them to share their contact information with the other person, and Receive Only, which enables them to receive the other person’s contact card without sharing their own.
- This feature is designed with a consent-based mechanism to ensure user control over their personal information.
- While it is true that your contact card could contain sensitive information like your name, email address, phone number, work and home address, picture, and birthday, the reality is that users have complete control over the information they put on their contact cards.
This means you can decide which details to include in your contact poster, ensuring that only the information you are comfortable sharing is communicated via NameDrop.
As an added assurance, moving the devices away from each other or locking your device completely cancels the transfer process. So casually strolling with your phone in your pocket won’t likely lead to your contact card leaking without your consent.
How to set up NameDrop in iOS 17
To use NameDrop on iPhone, the participating devices must meet the following pre-requisites:
- The devices must be running iOS 17 or later.
- Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and AirDrop must be enabled on both devices.
- Both devices must be in close proximity to each other.
Further, to share contacts, you must ensure NameDrop is enabled, and your Contact Cards allow Name and Photo sharing. Here’s how you can do the same:
Ensure NameDrop is enabled on your iPhone
- Launch the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Go to General → AirDrop.
- Now simply toggle on Bringing Devices Together.
Enable Name & Photo Sharing for Contact Card on iPhone
- Access the Phone app on your iPhone.
- Go to Contacts → User Card.
- Tap the Contact Photo & Poster menu.
- Ensure the Name & Photo Sharing option is enabled.
Tip: Refer to our complete guide on how to set up personalized Contact Posters in iOS 17
How to use NameDrop in iOS 17
- Bring the iPhone closer to someone else’s iPhone or Apple Watch to share your contact details.
Make sure the devices are unlocked.
- As the NameDrop feature activates, your profile will be displayed on your screen.
- Now, you must select either the Receive Only or Share option from the interface.
If one user selects Share, the other user must select Receive Only.
- In this instance, your contact cards will be shared gracefully.
- Now, as you attempt this process again, you’ll be prompted with the AirDrop notification.
NameDrop simplifies sharing contacts between Apple devices. It’s integrated into AirDrop for lightning-fast sharing, eliminating the need for manual input or third-party apps. Ideal for networking, collaborating, and sharing phone numbers and email addresses. Plus, the new contact posters in iOS 17 are cool.
Just like AirDrop, NameDrop uses Bluetooth to share contacts, images, and files. Further, NameDrop uses the NFC chip on iPhones to make the transfer happen, so users need to make sure that the top parts of the iPhones are closer to each other.
Share your details on the go!
Sharing contacts has never been easier, thanks to the NameDrop feature integrated with the iOS 17 update. Gone are the days of painstakingly typing or manually entering contact details. With NameDrop, you can effortlessly exchange information, ensuring you never miss an opportunity to stay connected.
Thank you for reading. Please take a moment to drop your thoughts in the comment section below.
- How to turn off NameDrop in iOS 17 on iPhone
- How to prepare your iPhone for iOS 17 update
- How to use Apple Check In in Messages app in iOS 17
- How to use iOS 17 Smart Search Filters in Messages on iPhone
Readers like you help support iGeeksBlog. When you make a purchase using links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read Disclaimer.