Photos are an essential part of our life as they preserve memories. If you have accidentally deleted one or several important pictures, or worse, broke or lost your device, then there are solutions to recover deleted photos on iPhone and iPad. Starting with the easy ones, let me show you five ways.
- How to Recover Recently Deleted Photos on iPhone or iPad
- Retrieve Recently Deleted Photos from iCloud
- How to Recover Permanently Deleted Photos from iCloud Backup
- How to Recover Permanently Deleted Photos from iTunes/Finder
- Restore Deleted Photos using Third-party Software
How to Recover Recently Deleted Photos on iPhone or iPad
After you delete a photo or video on your iPhone, iPad, or Photos app on Mac, it is still there in the Recently Deleted section for the next 30 days. To get it back;
Step #1. Open Photos app on your iOS device.
Step #2. Tap on Albums from the bottom.
Step #3. Now, scroll down to the end and tap Recently Deleted.
Step #4. Tap Select from the upper right.
Step #5. Finally, select the images and tap Recover and then tap on Recover photos.
Or just tap Recover All to get back all deleted photos.
Retrieve Recently Deleted Photos from iCloud
If you use iCloud Photos, you can;
Step #1. Open iCloud.com on computer → sign in with your Apple ID → click on Photos.
Step #2. Under the library, click on Recently Deleted.
Step #3. Select the photo/s → and finally click on Recover.
You can select multiple photos with Command+Click on the Mac keyboard and Command+Click on Windows Keyboard.
In case this solution did not help, look at the next one to recover permanently deleted photos from iPhone.
How to Recover Permanently Deleted Photos from iCloud Backup
Things you need to understand before you begin
- You can recover photos from an iCloud Backup. For this, is it essential that you have set up and enabled iCloud Backup.
- Additionally, it is also crucial that backup for Photo Library is enabled under CHOOSE DATA TO BACK UP.
- The backup must be from a day when the photos were still not deleted from the Photos app. For example, suppose, you deleted some images 8 days back, and your iCloud Backup is only 3 days old. Then, in this case, you will not be able to get back your pictures. But if the iCloud backup is 8 or more days old, then you may be in luck
- There is a way to check when your device iCloud Backups were made. Open Settings app → tap on your Apple ID from top → iCloud → Manage Storage → Backups → tap on a backup, and you may see the date under the Last Backup
- Understand the Process: We will be erasing everything that is currently on your iPhone. Then we will restore from an iCloud Backup. A big disadvantage is that it will replace all other content on your iPhone today with an older backup
- Transfer Current Important Things: You may choose to transfer current photos, videos from your iPhone to computer or services like Google Photos. You can also note the current app names, etc. that you have installed in recent times. After restoring from old iCloud backup, you can transfer/download these things again
Since you are clear with the things, let’s start with steps.
Step #1. Open the Settings app → Tap General on your iPhone or iPad.
Step #2. Tap on Reset and tap on Erase All Content and Settings.
Step #3. Tap on Erase now, and enter the device password to confirm the action.
Note: If it asks to turn off Find My iPhone, then open the Settings app → tap on your Apple ID banner from top → Find My → Find My iPhone → Turn off Find My iPhone.
Step #3. After the reset process completes, you will have to set up your iPhone again.
Step #4. While setting up, choose to Restore from iCloud Backup.
After the restore completes, open the Photos app and see if you have got back the photos or not.
If you have got back the photos but do not like the rest of the old version, then you can transfer these recovered photos to a computer, mail, or cloud storage services like Google Drive, Dropbox, One Drive, Google Photos, etc. After that, you may choose to restore again from the most recent iCloud backup. Later you can download these old photos back from the cloud storage app or computer.
If you did not get back the photos, try to restore it from an even older backup (if you have).
How to Recover Permanently Deleted Photos from iTunes/Finder
This is similar to the above method. The only difference is that instead of iCloud Backup, we will be using the iPhone backup made on Mac or Windows PC. The rest of the basics are the same as above.
Here is how to recover deleted photos from iPhone Backup using a computer:
Step #1. Open the Settings app → tap on your Apple ID banner from top → Find My.
Step #2. Now, tap on Find My iPhone and Turn off Find My iPhone.
Step #3. Connect your iPhone to Mac or Windows PC using a proper lightning cable.
Step #4. On Mac running macOS Catalina open Finder and click on your iPhone name from the left sidebar. On older Macs or Windows PC, open iTunes and click on the iPhone logo.
You may choose to Archive one or multiple iPhone backups in Finder/iTunes before proceeding. Archiving a backup will ensure that a new backup does not overwrite it. After that, make a new backup now. This way, if you do not successfully get back the deleted photos, you can at least restore it from today’s backup.
Step #5. Click Restore Backup.
Step #6. Choose an old backup and enter the password. Finally, click on Restore.
Step #7. After the process completes, open the Photos app on the iPhone and see if you got back the lost photos. If not, you can choose to restore from an even older backup (if you have).
Restore Deleted Photos using Third-party Software
Apart from the above methods, you can also use third-party softwares to recover deleted photos. Most of the softwares for Mac and Windows PC that offer iPhone photo recovery are paid. So, make sure you thoroughly check their website before buying a license.
These are few ways to recover deleted photos from iPhone. Finally, if you use Google Photos (and you should), then you may open the app and see if you already have the now-deleted photos backed up there. If yes, then it is a sweet delight. You can download the images from it to your iPhone’s Photos app.
Have a further question? Please ask in the comments section below.