Before you begin using Safari tab groups:
With the latest update, Safari on iPhone, iPad, and Mac has a tab group feature that makes it easy to manage several tabs. This is helpful while you are researching for multiple things or just want to keep things organized. Let me tell you more about it and show you how to use tab groups in Safari on iOS 15, iPadOS 15, and macOS Monterey.
- How to use tab groups in Safari on iPhone and iPad
- Make a tab group in Safari on iPhone
- Add or move a Safari tab to another tab group
- How to arrange Safari tabs in a tab group in iOS 15
- How to group Safari tabs on a Mac
How to use tab groups in Safari iPhone and iPad
Make a tab group in Safari on iPhone
- Launch the new Safari and tap the two-square icon.
You may also swipe up from the redesigned bottom address bar.
- Tap Start Page, 1 Tab or [number] Tabs.
- Tap New Empty Tab Group to create a tab group with a single empty tab (the Safari start page).
You can open or add tabs to it later.
- Tap New Tab Group from [number] Tabs to create a tab group with all the currently open Safari tabs.
- Give the tab group the desired name and tap OK.
Tip: Swipe left or right on the lower address bar to switch among different group tabs (webpages).
Add or move a Safari tab to another tab group
- Inside Safari, tap the two-square icon at the bottom right or swipe up from the address bar.
You will see all the open tabs as thumbnails.
- Long-press a thumbnail and tap Move to Tab Group.
- Tap an existing tab group name to add this webpage to this tab group.
If you choose Start Page, this tab will become un-grouped.
How to arrange Safari tabs in a tab group in iOS 15
- Tap the two-square icons from the bottom right of Safari.
- Long-press any tab thumbnail.
- Choose Arrange Tabs By Title or Arrange Tabs By Website.
How to close all tabs of a tab group
- Make sure one of the tabs from a tab group is open in Safari.
- Long-press the two-square icon and choose Close All [number] Tabs.
- Additionally: You may also tap the two-square icon or swipe up from the address bar. Next, long-press Done and tap Close All [number] Tabs.
- Additionally: Tap the two-square icons to see all tab thumbnails. Long-press on any thumbnail and choose Close Other Tabs. All the tabs of the tab group except this one will close.
Steps to rename a Safari tab group on iPhone
- Tap the two-square icon from Safari’s bottom right.
- Tap what is written in the middle of the address bar to see your tab groups.
- Long-press a tab group and choose Rename. Or, swipe right to left on a tab group name and tap the edit icon (pencil icon).
- Name it and tap OK.
How to delete a tab group in Safari on iPhone
- Tap the two-square icon on Safari’s bottom right.
- Tap the text in the middle of the address bar.
- Long-press a tab group and tap Delete. Or, swipe right to left and tap the red trash icon.
- Important: When you delete a tab group, all its open tabs will close immediately.
How to group Safari tabs on a Mac
Create a tab group in Safari on Mac
- Launch the new Safari and click the Sidebar icon at the top left.
- Click New Empty Tab Group.
- If you have a few tabs open, click New Tab Group with [number] Tabs.
How to rename a tab group in Safari on Mac
- Click the Sidebar icon at Safari’s top left.
- Right-click the desired tab group and choose Rename.
- Enter the new name you like.
This will help you keep tab groups organized and labeled.
How to move Safari tabs from one tab group to another on Mac
- Right-click the tab and choose Move to Tab Group.
- Next, select one of the other tab groups.
- If you select Start Page, it moves the tab to standard non-grouped tabs.
Reorder tab groups in Safari on Mac
- Click the Sidebar icon from the top left to see the tab groups.
- Click and hold one of the tab groups and drag it up or down to the desired spot.
View all tabs of a tab group in a grid on Mac
Wondering how you can see all the tabs of a group in grid view? Here’s how.
- Click the Sidebar icon at the top left to see the tab groups.
- Right-click one of the tab groups and choose Show Tab Overview.
- Or, click the grid icon (four tiny squares).
How to delete a tab group on Mac
- Click the Sidebar icon from Safari’s top left.
- Right-click a tab group and choose Delete.
- Important: All open tabs of this group will close too.
This is how you can use tab groups in Safari on different Apple devices in the latest version of their respective operating systems. I hope this guide was helpful, and now you have no trouble using this new feature. If you need further assistance, reach me via the comments section.
Other exciting new posts