- Quick Answer: Walmart does not directly accept Apple Pay in-store or online. However, you can make use of a workaround.
- You can add your Apple Card to the Walmart app and use it for payments.
- Walmart prioritizes its own payment system, Walmart Pay, to avoid Apple Pay transaction fees.
If you have invested heavily in the Apple ecosystem, you’d know Apple Pay is a highly convenient way to purchase items without carrying a wallet or credit card. Over the years, an increasing number of vendors have started accepting Apple Pay, making it easier to use than ever before.
However, Walmart still doesn’t accept Apple Pay. This might lead you to think, why doesn’t a major retailer like Walmart take Apple Pay? Will Walmart ever accept Apple Pay? Is there any way to use Apple Pay at Walmart? All such questions will be answered in this article.
- Does Walmart accept Apple Pay?
- Why doesn’t Walmart take Apple Pay?
- How to use Apple Pay at Walmart
- What payment methods does Walmart accept?
Does Walmart accept Apple Pay?
Unfortunately, the answer is no. Walmart doesn’t take Apple Pay despite its popularity.
Whether you’re checking out on your own or going through a traditional cashier lane, you can’t use Apple Pay. You won’t see Apple’s logo on Walmart’s registers, either.
This has nothing to do with your iPhone model. Whether you are using an old iPhone or a new one, Apple Pay just doesn’t work at Walmart.
Several Walmart customers are believed to have urged the retailer to allow Apple Pay transactions, but the former remains firm in its decision.
Now, this would naturally raise questions like, why doesn’t Walmart take Apple Pay? Will it ever accept Apple Pay? To answer these questions, I dug deep and found some potential reasons.
Why doesn’t Walmart take Apple Pay?
Walmart’s refusal to accept Apple Pay stems from a mix of financial and strategic considerations. Here’s a brief:
- While Apple Pay is popular, Walmart may be strategically steering customers towards their own mobile payment app, Walmart Pay. The app functions similarly to other digital wallets and has additional features for an intuitive payment experience. All you have to do is scan the QR code that appears at any checkout lane, and you’re on your way. You’ll get a receipt saved to your Walmart account; no cash or card is required.
- Walmart might be avoiding the transaction fees that come with Apple Pay. Since Walmart is known for its low prices, it probably doesn’t want to pay more money. Additionally, this helps Walmart keep its promise of offering affordable stuff to its customers.
Will Walmart ever accept Apple Pay?
It’s very unlikely. According to a MacRumors interview with Walmart spokesperson Erin Hulliberger, “Walmart Pay is the exclusive form of mobile payment accepted at Walmart, and [they] have no plans for that to change” any time soon.
In 2017, Bloomberg reported that Walmart was moving closer to incorporating Apple Pay into its mobile payment options. However, as several years have passed, this plan no longer appears to be active.
Alternatively, if Walmart were to discontinue Walmart Pay, there’s an outside chance they might adopt Apple Pay. However, this doesn’t seem possible for the foreseeable future.
How to use Apple Pay at Walmart
This might come as a surprise, but you can most definitely use your iPhone to make payments at Walmart. All you have to do is add your Apple Card as a payment method to the Walmart app and then make transactions through the app as usual.
Here’s how you do it.
- Open the Walmart app on your iPhone → Sign in or create an account.
- Go to the Account tab → Click Wallet.
- Tap Add new payment method → Choose Credit/Debit Card.
- Add your Apple Card. Follow the on-screen instructions to add your Apple Card as a payment method to the Walmart app.
- Once added, you can now use your Apple Card in Walmart Pay to pay for your purchases at any self-checkout.
- All you need to do is open the Walmart app → Walmart Pay.
- Scan the QR code at the register → Choose your Apple Card as your preferred payment method.
Another workaround is to use another app called Ibotta, which provides cashback when you shop in-store or online with leading brands and retailers, including Walmart.
Instead of the Walmart app, shoppers can opt for Ibotta to complete their transactions.
- The process is straightforward: link your Apple Card to Ibotta and select the Apple Pay option at checkout within the app.
- This generates a barcode, which the cashier can scan; it’s as if you’re purchasing a mobile gift card on the spot.
What payment methods does Walmart accept?
Aside from its own proprietary app, Walmart also accepts the following payment methods:
- Debit and credit cards
- EBT card
- Gift cards
- Refund credit
- HAS/FSA cards
No, Walmart does not accept Google Pay or Samsung Pay. Currently, they only accept their own digital wallet, Walmart Pay.
Yes, Walmart accepts PayPal for both online and in-store purchases
Well, you can’t use Apple Pay at Walmart in 2024. But that won’t stop you from easy checkouts with your iPhone, as long as you’re up to using Walmart Pay.
Why do you want to see Walmart accept Apple Pay? Tell us your thoughts in the comments below! We want to hear from you.
Do you have any other Apple-related questions? We’re happy to answer them. Ask away!
- How to use Apple Pay on Apple Watch
- How to use Apple Pay Later on iPhone and iPad
- How to use Apple Pay on Mac
Readers like you help support iGeeksBlog. When you make a purchase using links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read Disclaimer.