Have you ever wanted to make a purchase but didn’t have the total amount upfront? With Apple Pay Later, you can buy what you want from a participating merchant and pay Apple back over time. Let’s take a look at what Apple Pay Later is, what you need to use it, and how to set it up on your iPhone and iPad.
- What is Apple Pay Later?
- How to set up Apple Pay Later on iPhone or iPad
- How to use Apple Pay Later on iPhone and iPad
What is Apple Pay Later?
Apple Pay Later is a service in which you make a purchase from a participating merchant, and the total cost is split into 4 installments that you pay over a 6-week period. Apple pays the total to the merchant, and you repay the loan amount without any fees or interest to Apple.
You can use Apple Pay Later for online and in-app purchases between $50 and $1,000 on your Apple Pay-enabled iPhone or iPad.
There is no impact on your credit when applying for an Apple Pay Later loan; however, after your purchase, your loan and payment history might be reported to credit bureaus and effect your credit.
Apple Pay Later requirements
In order to use Apple Pay Later, you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age. If you’re an Alabama resident, you must be 19 years of age or older.
- Be a US citizen with a valid physical address, not a PO box. The service is currently unavailable in Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Wisconsin, and the US territories.
- Have at least iOS 16.4 or iPadOS 16.4 installed on your device.
- Have Apple Pay set up with an eligible debit card which is required to make an Apple Pay Later down payment.
- Have two-factor authentication set up for your Apple ID.
- Have a Driver’s License or state-issued ID card in case identity verification is required.
Additionally, Apple Pay Later is currently only available to invited customers. Customers are randomly selected through their Apple ID email to use the prerelease version of the service.
How to set up Apple Pay Later on iPhone or iPad
- On your iPhone, open the Wallet app. On iPad, open Settings and select Wallet & Apple Pay.
- Tap the Add button (plus sign).
- Choose Set up Apple Pay Later and tap Continue.
- Follow the prompts to apply for the Apple Pay Later loan by entering the total amount you’re requesting, including taxes and shipping.
- Select Next and verify your name, birth date, and address.
- Confirm the information and choose Agree & Apply.
- Read through the payment plan and loan agreement, and then tap Add to Wallet.
Once you’re approved for the Apple Pay Later loan, you have up to 30 days to make your purchase. You can see the amount you’re approved for in the Apple Pay Later Available to Spend area.
If you have specific questions, concerns, or issues, you can contact Apple Pay Later Support.
How to use Apple Pay Later on iPhone and iPad
To use your Apple Pay Later Available to Spend amount from the Wallet app, follow the steps below.
- Select Apple Pay during the checkout process.
- Go to the Pay Later tab and tap Continue.
- Review the payment plan and loan agreement, then tap Continue or Agree & Continue.
- Choose the debit card you want to use for the down payment and follow the subsequent prompts.
- Double-click the side button and use Face ID, Touch ID, or your passcode to confirm your payment.
A handy way to pay!
Apple Pay Later is a convenient service that can help you buy the things you want but can’t pay the total price for upfront. While technically a short-term loan, Apple doesn’t charge interest or fees, making it a handy way to pay.
What do you think, will you give Apple Pay Later a try? Let us know why or why not!
For more, look at how to set up Apple Pay on your Apple Watch to make purchases using your wearable.
- Download exciting WWDC 2023 wallpapers for iPhone right here
- How to enable Voice Isolation for phone calls
- Does Walmart take Apple Pay? How to check out with iPhone
- Understanding the best ways to pay for an iPhone
Readers like you help support iGeeksBlog. When you make a purchase using links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read Disclaimer.