Telegram app was already popular, and the latest WhatsApp policy changes further made it the go-to alternative. If you are a new (or existing) user wishing to make the most of this messaging app, you have come to the right place. Let me show you the 33 best Telegram tips and tricks for iPhone users.
- Turn off the ‘joined Telegram’ notification on iPhone
- Use chat folders to organize Telegram chats
- Bookmark messages on iPhone
- Use encrypted Secret Chat
- Send disappearing messages
- Edit even sent Telegram messages!
- Easily select and copy a part of the text in Telegram
- Schedule Telegram messages on iPhone
- Send silent Telegram messages on iPhone
- Send GIF, images, and YouTube videos effortlessly
- Add animated stickers to images and videos
- Add timestamps to videos
- Edit videos before sending on iPhone
- Broadcast messages using a Telegram channel
- Share live location
- Pin important chats on top
- Set reminders in Telegram
- Use #hashtags to manage chats better
- Prevent yourself from being added to groups unnecessarily
- Disable notification for a specific person
- Turn off message preview
- Lock Telegram chats on iPhone
- Personalize Telegram on iPhone
- Pick a username or contact Telegram for desired (but unavailable) username
- Set video as your Telegram profile picture
- Hide your last seen on iPhone
- Add nearby people in Telegram
- Use Slow Mode for better group management
- Use inline reply in Telegram groups
- Delete received messages even from the sender’s phone
- Use multiple Telegram accounts
- Change phone number in Telegram
- Set to self-destruct your Telegram account in case of inactivity
1. Turn off the ‘joined Telegram’ notification
- Open Telegram and tap Settings.
- Tap Notifications and Sounds.
- Scroll down and turn off the switch for New Contacts.
2. Use chat folders to organize Telegram chats
Most chat apps like WhatsApp and Signal have one screen where all your chats are displayed. This gets confusing when you have several conversations ongoing with different contacts – friends, family, colleagues, business, etc. This is where chat folders come in to help you organize.
Let me show you how to create and use them.
- Tap Settings inside the Telegram app.
- Tap Chat Folders.
- Tap Add Custom Folder and give it a name.
- Next, tap Add Chats to add contacts, groups, etc., to it. You may also specify if you wish to exclude any chat.
- Finally, tap Done → Create.
- To access chat folders: Swipe right to left from the All Chats screen.
- To add a chat to a folder: Long-press on it and tap Add to Folder.
Note: Chats added to folders are listed under All Chats as well. Also, deleting a chat folder does not delete the conversations.
3. Bookmark messages on iPhone
- Go inside a Telegram conversation and long-press a message.
- Tap Forward.
- Tap Saved Messages.
- You will find Saved Messages listed under All Chats. Or, tap Settings → Saved Messages.
4. Use encrypted Secret Chat
Secret chats are encrypted and have a bunch of unique features like – messages based on timer-based destructing messages. Also, messages in a Secret Chat can not be forwarded or saved. If the other person takes a screenshot, you are notified of it.
- Open a conversation with a person and tap their name at the top.
- Tap More.
- Tap Start Secret Chat → Start.
- You can even have multiple Secret Chats with the same person!
5. Send disappearing messages
There are two ways to send Telegram messages that delete automatically after the set time. One is to use the time in Secret Chat, and the other is to add a self-destructing timer to a photo or video. We have explained both these methods with screenshots here.
6. Edit even sent Telegram messages!
Sent a message with a tiny error? No problem. You can edit Telegram messages in both normal and group chats for 48 hours.
- Long-press a message and tap Edit.
- Make the changes and tap the tick button.
- You can edit the same message multiple times.
- The word ‘edited’ is displayed next to such messages.
7. Easily select and copy a part of the text in Telegram
There are several instances, where we only need to copy a portion of a long message. This happens a lot with me. Telegram seems to be one app that makes it effortless.
- Long-press a message. It will lift (and show a list of menus.)
- Long-press a word.
- Move the selector to select multiple words or sentences.
- Finally, tap Copy.
8. Schedule Telegram messages on iPhone
Want to wish Happy Birthday to your friend exactly at 12am but feeling sleepy? Just schedule a Telegram message! Easy.
- Type the message.
- When done, long-press the send arrow button.
- Tap Schedule Message.
- Set the desired date and time.
- Tap Send [your chosen time].
- To see scheduled messages, tap the tiny clock icon inside the message typing box.
9. Send silent Telegram messages on iPhone
Wish to send a message to your friend, siblings, or colleague without disturbing them with message notification or vibration? Simply send a silent message. It is perfect when you know your contact is studying, sleeping, or in a meeting, and you understand that it is best not to bother them with your text.
- Type a message normally.
- Long-press on the send arrow button and tap Send Without Sound.
- When the recipient opens their Telegram app, they will see your silent message.
10. Send GIF, images, and YouTube videos effortlessly
- Open a chat and type @gif or @youtube or @pic
- Now type a query — for example, @gif Trump to see the ex-president Trump’s gifs. @youtube iGeeksBlog to see our YouTube videos or @pic sunset.
- Tap the search result to send it.
Similarly, you can use several other Telegram bots like @imdb @vid @bing @wiki @bold, etc. @botfather lets you even create and edit bots.
11. Add animated stickers to images and videos
- Inside a chat, tap the paper clip icon to select a photo or video.
- Tap the pencil icon.
- Tap the sticker icon.
- Choose the desired sticker. Move to reposition it. You may also resize it.
- Tap the tick button and finally the send arrow button.
Note: This will convert your still image into GIF, which may decrease the quality.
12. Add timestamps to videos
Suppose there is a three-minute speech video of the Prime Minister. One particular highlight is at/after the 2-minute mark. You can easily specify this.
- Select a video to send to your friend.
- Tap Add a caption.
- Write Check 2:10 and send the clip.
- Your friend can then tap this time, and the video will play from that point. Pretty nice, right?
13. Edit videos before sending on iPhone
Telegram has a robust video editing tool built right in that lets you play with the clip before sending it. There are several functions like cropping, writing on it, adding stickers, adding text, changing resolution, tweaking brightness, contrast, saturation, etc., and much more.
- Tap the paper clip icon, Photo or Video, and select a video.
Tip: Tap <Albums and then Videos to see all clips from the Photos app.
- Tap the video.
- In the bottom row, you have all the tools. You can figure them out as they are pretty straightforward to use.
- Once done, tap the send arrow button.
14. Broadcast messages using a Telegram channel
Telegram has groups (like almost all other chat apps). But another highlight is ‘channel’ using which you can broadcast messages to several (unlimited) people. The messages are sent not in your name but the channel’s name. Further, only the admin can send messages to subscribers of this group.
For example, I have created a Telegram channel named ‘iGB Announcements.’ When I send a message here, all the channel subscribers are notified. See the steps and screenshots below for more.
- Tap the compose icon at the top right in Telegram.
- Tap New Channel → Create Channel.
- Give it a name, display picture, and description.
- Choose between Public or Private link.
For public link, enter the desired name.
- Add people to this channel. Done.
- Now, type a message in this channel and send it.
- You may even pin important chats that stay at the top of the channel (and are visible to all subscribers at the top).
- Open a chat and tap the paper clip button.
- Tap Location.
- Tap Share My Live Location for…
- Choose one of the options – for 15 minutes, 1 hour, or 8 hours.
- To stop: Tap the live location and then tap Stop Sharing Location.
- You cannot share live location in a secret chat.
16. Pin important chats on top
- From the Telegram Chats tab, long-press a conversation (except secret chat).
- Tap Pin. This conversation will stick to the top of the chat screen.
- Follow the same steps to unpin.
17. Set reminders in Telegram
- Tap Settings → Saved Messages.
- Type the desired message.
- Long-press the send arrow button and tap Set a Reminder.
- Set the desired time.
- To access your reminders: Tap the clock button in the message type field of Saved Messages.
When you prefix a word with #, it becomes a searchable hashtag. Tap it, and you will see all the conversations with this tag.
19. Prevent yourself from being added to groups
- Go to Telegram Settings and tap Privacy and Security.
- Tap Groups & Channels.
- Tap My Contacts.
- Finally, to block anybody from adding you to Telegram groups, tap Never Allow and choose all your contacts and groups.
- Tap Done.
20. Disable notification for a specific person
- Open a person’s chat and tap their name at the top.
- Tap Mute.
- Choose Mute Forever.
21. Turn off message preview
If you do not wish to show the preview of new incoming messages on the lock screen or in notifications, Telegram offers a quick way to turn previews off.
- Go to Telegram Settings and tap Notifications and Sounds.
- Turn off Message Preview.
- You can do the same from the iPhone Settings app → Notifications → Telegram (works for all other apps too) → Show Previews → choose Never.
22. Lock Telegram chats on iPhone
- Inside the Telegram Settings, tap Privacy and Security.
- Tap Passcode & Face ID (or Touch ID).
- Turn Passcode On.
- Set a passcode.
- You can also choose the Auto-Lock duration or Unlock with Face ID (or Touch ID).
23. Personalize Telegram on iPhone
- Go to Telegram Settings and tap Appearance.
- From here, you can choose the desired color theme, chat background, auto-night mode, text size, and even message corners!
- Next, you also have the option to choose a different app icon for Telegram.
After you set a username, it lets people find you with this username without needing your phone number. You can share a t.me link, and people can message you there. For this, go to Telegram Settings and tap Set Username.
Next, if the username of your choice is not available, you may contact Telegram support. However, before you do that, you must be using that username on at least two other services (like, say, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.)
To contact Telegram support volunteer:
- Go to Telegram Settings and tap Ask a Question.
- Tap Skip and proceed to volunteers.
25. Set video as your Telegram profile picture
- Tap Settings inside Telegram.
- Tap Edit at the top right.
- Tap Set New Photo or Video.
- Record or select a clip. Also, choose a cover and tap the tick button.
- Finally, tap Done to save it as your profile video.
- Note: The video plays only when a person goes to your Telegram profile on their phone.
26. Hide your last seen on iPhone
- Go to Telegram Settings and tap Privacy and Security.
- Tap Last Seen & Online.
- Choose Nobody.
- Now your exact last seen won’t be shown to anyone. However, approximate last seen (like, recently, within a week or month) are shown to all.
27. Add nearby people in Telegram
This helps find people and groups nearby when you are at an event, concert, etc.
- Open Telegram and tap Contacts at the bottom left.
- Tap Find People Nearby.
- Tap a name from the result to connect.
- Optional: Tap Make Myself Visible if you wish to be found and contacted by others.
28. Use Slow Mode for better group management
If you are bombarded with very frequent messages in a group, or if some member is spamming or misbehaving nonstop, you can enable Slow Mode. This will ensure that each member has to wait for the set time before sending the next message. It is pretty handy, and you must try it out once.
- Tap the group name whose admin you are.
- Tap Edit.
- Tap Permissions.
- Set the desired duration for Slow Mode.
- You can also tap Removed Users → Remove User to prevent a member from ever rejoining the group.
29. Use inline reply in Telegram groups
Just like iMessage, WhatsApp, etc., Telegram also lets you reply to a specific message in group chats. When several people are chatting, you can use an inline reply to convey your thoughts regarding a particular message.
For this, long-press a message and tap Reply. Next, type and send the message.
30. Delete received messages from the sender’s phone
You can delete the message you send from your or the receiver’s device. I bet you already knew this. But did you know? Telegram (unlike other messaging apps) lets you delete even the received message from both your and the sender’s phone.
- Long press a received message and tap Delete.
- Tap Delete for me and [your friend name].
- The message will disappear from both your and the sender’s phones.
31. Use multiple Telegram accounts
In a country like India, most people have two SIM cards for work and personal use. Telegram lets you add and use up to three accounts with different phone numbers inside the same app (on the same phone).
- Tap Settings inside Telegram.
- Tap Edit at the top right.
- Tap Add Another Account.
32. Change phone number in Telegram
If you have shifted to a new number, follow the steps explained above and tap Change Number. Your account, messages, media, contacts, etc., will move to the new number.
33. Set to self-destruct your Telegram account in case of inactivity
- Open Telegram Settings and tap Privacy and Security.
- Tap If Away For and choose a time frame.
- If you do not come online for the chosen time, your Telegram account and all its contents (messages, contacts, etc.) will be deleted.
Enjoy Telegram to the fullest!
These are some of the most helpful Telegram tips and trick to use the app to the fullest. I am sure you knew some of them already. Which one excited you the most? For me, it is the chat folders and tons of app personalization.
You will also love to read these: