Telegram doesn’t officially have the disappearing messages feature like Signal or WhatsApp. However, I have found out two ways to help you send disappearing messages in Telegram on your iPhone. The first one is to use Secret Chat (Telegram’s full end-to-end encrypted private conversation) and the second method is to send photos and videos with a Self-destruct Timer (delete photos automatically after the specified time). Let me show you how to use these features.
- Send disappearing messages in Telegram using Secret Chat
- Send self-destructing photos and videos in Telegram
Send disappearing messages in Telegram using Secret Chat
- Open a chat in Telegram. You may also tap the compose icon from the top and choose a contact.
- Tap the name at the top.
- Select More.
- Tap Start Secret Chat → Start.
- Tap the tiny stopwatch icon and choose the desired time (1 second to 1 week).
- Write and send the message.
- After the set time, the messages (text, image, video, files, etc.) will automatically disappear from both (your and your friend’s) phones.
- If you take a screenshot of the Telegram secret chat on your iPhone, the other person will be notified (and vice versa). On Android, you cannot even take a screenshot of the secret chat screen.
- Secret chats cannot be forwarded.
- To delete a secret conversation: From the Telegram’s Chats screen, tap Edit, select the secret chat (it has a lock icon), and tap Delete.
- You may create several secret chat screens with the same person. (see the image below)
Now, what if you want to send a photo or video? Instead of using Secret Chat, you can easily do that through Telegram’s disappearing photos and videos functionality. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you learn it.
Send self-destructing photos and videos in Telegram
- Open a Telegram conversation and tap the paper clip icon.
- Choose an image or video.
- Long-press the up arrow icon (↑) and tap Send With Timer.
- Choose from 1 second to 1 minute, and tap Send With Timer.
- After your friend taps the image or video’s blurred thumbnail, the self-destruct countdown timer will begin. After that, Telegram will auto-delete the media from both (your and your friend’s) Telegram chat.
- If the other person takes a screenshot of the disappearing image or video, you will be notified of the same.
- Telegram photos and videos sent with a timer cannot be saved or forwarded.
Ready to send disappearing Telegram messages from your iPhone?
I believe now you have the answer to your question. Sometimes we have certain thoughts, files, images, and videos that we only wish to send for a limited time to avoid its misuse (like forward, screenshot, etc.). Telegram’s Secret Chat and Send With Timer are great tools for this.
If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask in the comments below.