“Find My iPhone” is a primary security feature designed to safeguard iDevices like iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch and more. Protected by Activation Lock, one must enter the Apple ID passwords to erase or reactivate the device. More importantly, you can quickly add or remove your devices from Find My iPhone.
You have the desired convenience to manage your devices, which are shielded by Activation Lock. For instance, you can completely erase your iPhone even remotely if you don’t have it any longer. More after the jump.
How to Add or Remove a Device from Find My iPhone
Step #1. Launch Settings app on your iOS device.
Step #2. Now, you have to tap on your photo/profile.
Step #3. Tap on iCloud.
Step #4. Next, scroll down and tap on Find My iPhone and then turn it ON.
From now on you can locate and lock your iPhone remotely. If you ever want to disconnect your device, simply follow all the above-mentioned steps and then turn off Find My iPhone toggle in the end.
But if you want to completely remove the device, you will need to visit icloud.com on your computer.
How to Remove a Device from Find My Phone
Step #1. On your computer, head over to http://icloud.com/ and sign in to your account.
Step #2. Click on “Find my iPhone” icon.
Step #3. Next, you need to click on “All Devices” in the center.
Step #4. Next up, you have to select the device you wish to remove.
Step #5. Click “Remove from Account” and confirm.
If you ever want to re-add the device, turn on Find My iPhone on your device.
- Just in case, you don't find Remove from Account option, click All Devices again and Delete button next to the device.
- Apple Watch and AirPods continue to be in Find My iPhone until you also remove the devices which have been paired with them.
- If you want to add any device on your Mac, open System Preferences → iCloud → Check the box to the left of Find My Mac.
If you have sold your iPhone, Mac or Apple Watch or no longer have it, completely erase it from the Find My iPhone. Read on to do that…
How to Complete Erase Your Device from Find My iPhone
When you erase your device all of your contents and settings are removed.
Step #1. Go to http://icloud.com/ on your computer and sign in to your account. Then, click on Find My iPhone and select All Devices.
Step #2. Click on the device you don't want to keep anymore.
Step #3. Now, click on Erase iPhone (or Mac/Apple Watch).
Step #4. Click on Erase again to confirm.
To me “Activation Lock” is a boon for iDevices as it works as a pretty reliable defense for their security. Hence, I would recommend you to use it to always remain on the safer side of the stream.
Catch up on these posts as well:
- How to Bypass or Unlock Activation Lock
- How to Create Ringtone using GarageBand on iPhone
- How to Get iPhone X Exclusive “Reflection” Ringtone on Any iPhone
- How to Enable Two Factor Authentication for Apple ID