iOS 17 brought several exciting upgrades to Reminders. One of the most useful features added is the ability to create a grocery or shopping list that automatically creates sections and sorts your listed items accordingly. Unfortunately, for some users, the iOS 17 Grocery List is not working on their iPhones. In this article, we’ll explore some possible fixes for it!
Note: In some regions, the Grocery List feature is also called the Shopping List. Both terms refer to the same feature, and the fixes mentioned in this article apply to both.
- Ensure device is updated to iOS 17
- Enable iCloud for Reminders
- Toggle between List Types
- Create a new list in Reminders
- Restart iPhone
- Update OS on all devices
1. Ensure device is updated to iOS 17
The Grocery or Shopping List feature in the Reminders app is only available on iPhones with iOS 17 or later, such as:
- iPhone 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 series
- iPhone XR, XS, XS Max
- iPhone SE (2020, 2022)
Further, make sure you have upgraded your device to iOS 17. Once you have got these fundamentals right, you can proceed with the fixes below.
2. Enable iCloud for Reminders
For Grocery List to function smoothly across all Apple devices, you need to enable Reminders in iCloud. To do so:
- Go to the Settings app → Tap your name card (Apple ID) → Select iCloud.
- Tap Show All under Apps Using iCloud → Toggle on Reminders.
3. Toggle between List Types
Forum users have discovered that toggling between Grocery or Shopping and Standard in the List Type settings effectively resolves the issue.
- Go to the Reminders app on your iPhone.
- Open your existing list.
- Tap the More (…) icon at the top-right of the screen → Show List Info.
- Tap the dropdown menu beside List Type → Change Groceries/Shopping to Standard.
- If you already have several sections in your list, you’ll see a popup window asking if you want to keep the sections. Choose Keep → Select Done.
- Return to the Show List Info → Change the List Type from Standard to Groceries/Shopping.
- Select Done.
4. Create a new list in Reminders
If the iOS 17 grocery list feature is not working on your iPhone, you can create a new list instead. Reboot your device, open Reminders, and create a new Groceries or shopping list.
5. Restart iPhone
One of the most basic things to do is refreshing Reminders by swiping down. That should refresh the function.
If even that doesn’t work, force restarting your iPhone can flush out bugs and glitches preventing Reminders’ Grocery List from automatically sorting your lists into categories.
6. Update OS on all devices
If you’re using the upgraded reminders in one of your devices, say an iPad, you won’t be able to access them on your other devices — and use Reminders’ new features — until you update the software of your other Apple devices.
Some Apple users have speculated that one probable reason for the Reminders features not working is that not all your devices’ operating systems are updated to the latest software. To ensure functionality, please update your iOS, iPadOS, and macOS before using the shopping list feature in Reminders.
The grocery list feature in Reminders for iOS 17 undoubtedly simplifies the task of creating lists for items you need to restock. Hopefully, one of the above fixes should help you to fix your grocery list feature not working on your iPhone. Did any of these solutions prove helpful? Share them below!
- How to use the Reminders app on iPhone and iPad
- How to use templates in Reminders app on iPhone, iPad, and Mac
- iPhone Reminders not working in iOS 17? 8 Ways to fix it
Readers like you help support iGeeksBlog. When you make a purchase using links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read Disclaimer.