Your iPhone can be a lifesaver when it reminds you about important days, meetings, tasks, etc. So it can be frustrating when the iOS Reminders app is not working as expected. But don’t worry, we’re here to help. In this article, we’ll troubleshoot and fix the Reminders app on your iPhone. Let’s check out the solutions below.
- Check notifications settings for Reminders app
- Restart your iPhone
- Turn off and then turn on Reminders from iCloud
- Remove Reminders app widget
- Update the latest iOS version
- Delete Reminders app and reinstall it
- Reset iPhone Settings
- Restore your iPhone
1. Check notifications settings for Reminders app
It is possible that you may have turned off the notification settings for the Reminders app, and as a result, you might think the Reminder app is not working. Let us ensure that this is not the case.
- Open Settings app and tap Notifications.
- Scroll down and tap Reminders. Here make sure that Allow Notification is turned on. Also, ensure that under ALERTS, everything is checked.
- Tap Sounds and check that any tone is set for the Reminders app. (The image below has the correct settings.)
2. Restart your iPhone
Since we are sure that notifications are turned on for the Reminders app, let us move on and restart the iPhone. A restart generally fixes small temporary glitches that an iPhone or iPad gets during regular use.
You can use the button to turn off your iPhone and turn it back on as you usually do. Or, you may go to Settings app → General → Shut Down. After 1 minute switch on the iPhone.
3. Turn off and then turn on Reminders from iCloud
Reminders are synced via iCloud to all your Apple devices. Sometimes it develops temporary problems and stops functioning correctly. To fix this, let us turn it off and then back on from iCloud.
- Open Settings app → tap your name card from the top → tap iCloud.
- Turn off the toggle for Reminders → Delete from My iPhone.
- After 30 seconds, turn the toggle back on and let iCloud sync everything again.
4. Remove Reminders app widget
Another hack that has worked for a few people is removing the Reminders widget from the widgets screen.
- From the main home screen swipe right till you reach the rightmost screen. Here scroll down and from the bottom tap Edit.
- If you have the Reminders app widget here, tap minus button, and then tap Remove.
Now, restart your iPhone. Most likely, the problem with reminders will be solved on your iPhone.
5. Update the latest iOS version
Several bugs are fixed with each iOS update. To ensure that Reminders app on your iPhone works appropriately, go to Settings app → General → Software Update. If you have a pending update, tap Download and Install.
6. Delete Reminders app and reinstall it
If still your Reminders app trouble is not fixed, try deleting the app and reinstalling it. For this touch and hold on the Reminders app icon. Next, tap Remove App → Delete App.
Now, restart your iPhone. After this open App Store → tap Search from the bottom right → type ‘Reminders’ in the search box and tap the download icon to install the app.
7. Reset iPhone Settings
If nothing worked, let us reset all settings of the iPhone.
- For this open Settings app → tap General → Transfer or Reset iPhone.
- Reset → Reste All Settings.
- Enter your iPhone passcode → Tap Reset All Settings to conform.
Please note that this won’t delete any personal data, but it will erase all Wi-Fi passwords, VPN configurations, Privacy Settings, and more. So make sure you have the necessary data backed up or written somewhere safe.
8. Restore your iPhone
Finally, as a last resort, you may try to erase all content and settings from your iPhone and restore it from a backup. This is the ultimate solution. So make sure you have a backup before you restore your device. Here are some resources to help you.
That’s all the fixes, mate!
These were the right solutions to fix the issue of the Reminders app not working on your iPhone. I hope one or a combination of a few methods worked for you. If not, you may try to contact Apple support or make an in-store visit.
What are your thoughts on Apple’s Reminders app? Share your opinion in the comments down below.
You may like to take a peek at…
I struggled and tried everything. FINALLY, realized one of my emails (Yahoo) also has a Reminders feature. They were conflicting. As soon as I went in to iPhone mail Yahoo and untofgled Reminders, it WORKS for iPhone Reminder. Feel free to add to your solutions list!
I realized that I have to create an iCloud list first; by choosing “add a list” to the reminders app, before I can add an actual reminder.