At WWDC23, Apple launched a revamped watchOS. Keeping up with expectations, watchOS 10 brings new features, such as Smart Stack, NameDrop, and much more. However, a few users have encountered issues while installing it. If you’re experiencing this problem, fret not! Below, I have compiled effective solutions to fix the download and installation failures of watchOS 10.
- Check Compatibility before Updating
- Perform the Basic Checks
- Retry Updating After Restarting the Apple Watch and iPhone
- Free Up Space on the Apple Watch
- Delete the Update File and Retry
- Unpair the Apple Watch
1. Check compatibility before updating
The primary step before proceeding is to ensure whether your Apple Watch officially supports watchos 10 or not. If you rock an Apple Watch Series 4, Series 5, Series 6, Series 7, and SE, you can update to the latest OS.
The latest Apple Watch Series 8, SE 2, and Apple Watch Ultra will come preinstalled with watchos 10. But if you have trouble installing the next version of watchos 10, this guide will be helpful for that as well.
2. Perform the basic checks
Now, before we advance further, it is essential to satisfy some conditions.
- Update your iPhone to ensure perfect harmony.
- Your Apple Watch battery must be at least 50%.
- Connect your iPhone and watch to a stable Wi-Fi. If your net is too slow, consider restarting the router. Also, do not forget to disable the VPN.
- Make sure Bluetooth is enabled.
3. Retry updating after restarting the Apple Watch and iPhone
In multiple posts, we often mention that restarting is one of the easiest and (an almost) sure shot ways to fix several software issues.
To restart your Apple Watch, press the Side button and drag the Power Off slider to the right. After a minute, press the same button to turn it on. To restart the paired iPhone, use the power button as you usually do.
After this, try to update the wearable. You can do so straight from the Settings app on the Apple Watch or use the Watch app on the companion iPhone.
4. Free up space on your Apple Watch
Just like you must have a certain amount of free space for updating the iPhone, your Watch too follows the same rule. If you cannot install watchos 10, which is a major generational update, consider freeing up some space. Once you do that, restart the devices and try updating them again.
5. Delete the update file and retry
- Open the Watch app on the paired iPhone and ensure you are in the My Watch tab.
- Tap on General → Storage → Software Update and delete the downloaded update file.
- Restart the devices.
- Open the Watch app → General → Software Update to download and install watchos 10.
6. Unpair the Apple Watch
Once everything is set, follow the update process once again, and you should be able to get watchos 10 successfully.
Apple Watch is the perfect blend of tech and lifestyle products, packaged into a tiny form factor that sits on your wrist. I hope this guide helped you fix the issue, and now you are using watchos 10 with its new features. Feel free to have your say in the comments section below.
We have tons of helpful related resources to help you know more about your watch. Please take a moment and check them out.
- Best Apple Watch bands
- Unable to update watchOS 10? Here’s how to fix it
- Best Accessories for Apple Watch
- How to Use the Blood Oxygen App on Apple Watch
Readers like you help support iGeeksBlog. When you make a purchase using links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read Disclaimer.