watchOS 7 brings several improvements and new features like Handwashing, Family Setup, Sleep Tracking, and more. Sadly, some users are unable to install this update and therefore missing these fantastic highlights. But worry not as the effective solutions listed below will help you fix the failing watchOS 7 download and installation problems. Take a look.
- Check Compatibility before Updating
- Perform the Basic Checks
- Retry Updating After Restarting the Apple Watch and iPhone
- Free Up Space on the Apple Watch
- Delete the Update File and Retry
- Unpair the Apple Watch
1. Check Compatibility before Updating
The primary step before proceeding is to ensure that whether your Apple Watch officially supports watchOS 7 or not.
If you rock an Apple Watch Series 3, Series 4, and Series 5, you can update to the latest OS.
The latest Apple Watch Series 6 and SE already come preinstalled with watchOS 7. But if you have trouble installing the next version of watchOS 7 like 7.1, this guide will be helpful for that as well.
2. Perform the Basic Checks
Now, before we advance further, it is essential to satisfy some conditions.
- Your Apple Watch battery must be at least 50%.
- Connect your iPhone and watch to a stable Wi-Fi. If your net is too slow, consider restarting the router. Also, do not forget to disable the VPN.
- Make sure Bluetooth is enabled.
- Update your iPhone to ensure perfect harmony.
3. Retry Updating After Restarting the Apple Watch and iPhone
In multiple posts, we often mention that restarting is one of the easiest and (an almost) sure shot way to fix several software issues.
To restart your Apple Watch, press the Side button and drag the POWER OFF slider to the right. After a minute, press the same button to turn it on.
To restart the paired iPhone, use the power button(s) as you usually do.
After this, try to update the wearable. You can do so straight from the Settings app on the Apple Watch or use the Watch app on the companion iPhone.
4. Free Up Space on your Apple Watch
Just like you must have a certain amount of free space for updating the iPhone, you Watch too follows the same rule.
5. Delete the Update File and Retry
- Open the Watch app on the paired iPhone and make sure you are in the My Watch tab.
- Tap on General → Usage → Software Update and delete the downloaded update file.
- Restart the devices.
- Open the Watch app → General → Software Update to download and install watchOS 7.
6. Unpair the Apple Watch
Once everything is set, follow the update process once again, and you should be able to get watchOS 7 successfully.
Apple Watch is the perfect blend of tech and lifestyle product, packaged into a tiny form factor that sits on your wrist. I hope this guide helped you fix the issue, and now you are using watchOS 7 with its new features. Feel free to have your say in the comments section below.
We have tons of helpful related resources that will help you know more about the watch you own. Please take a moment and check them out.