The most tedious part of getting a new iPhone is to transfer data from old iPhone to the new. Apple has made is extremely easy, but if we miss something, we may lose valuable data. The pain increases if you have an Apple Watch synced with your iPhone. You need to unpair Apple Watch and iPhone carefully, else you may lose data.
There are two ways you can unpair your Apple Watch from iPhone. While one way is to get it done from the Watch app via your paired iOS device, the other method is to get it done right from the Settings app on your smartwatch. Let’s find out how it works!
How To Unpair Apple Watch and iPhone Using Apple Watch App
- When you disconnect the Apple Watch from your iOS device, it will delete all active Bluetooth accessory pairings and remove any Apple Pay cards used on the Watch.
- When the Apple Watch is unpaired using Watch app from iPhone, the smartwatch is automatically backed up to the iOS device. Besides, it also allows you to easily disable Activation Lock.
- Technically, the better way to disconnect the Watch is to use the Watch app for iPhone.
Step #1. Open Apple Watch app on your iPhone and then tap on active watch at the top of the My Watch screen.
Step #2. Next, you need to tap the info button which is located to the right of your current watch. Then, you have to tap on Unpair Apple Watch.
Step #3. Tap on Unpair (your watch name) to confirm. Next, you have to enter your Apple ID password to disable Activation Lock.
Now, your watch’s data will be backed up to your iPhone. When it’s done, your smartwatch will automatically disconnect from your iOS device. Then, it will be restored to factory settings.
You can now back up your iPhone to ensure your Apple Watch data remains secure in case of any untoward incident.
How to Unpair Apple Watch without iPhone
Unpairing Apple Watch right from its Settings app neither disable Activation Lock nor does it create an auto backup. As long as Activation Lock is enabled, a new user can’t set up the watch. Hence, you will have to head over to iCloud.com on your computer to disable it.
Step #1. Open Settings app on your Apple Watch → General → Reset.
Step #2. Tap on Erase All Content and Settings. Then, you have to type in your passcode (if enabled) and tap on Continue to confirm.
Step #3. When the restoring process is completed, head over to iCloud.com on your computer and disable Activation Lock.
You need to sign in with your Apple ID and password.
Click on Settings and select Apple Watch under My Devices.
Step #4. Click on the X next to your Watch to remove it. You need to click on Remove to confirm.
Video: How to Unpair Apple Watch and iPhone: Two Easy Methods
Hopefully, you have successfully disconnected your watch and reset it to the factory settings. As mentioned above, try unpairing the smartwatch via the Watch app as it’s a better way.
You might want to refer these posts as well:
- How to Use your Apple Watch as a Remote Control for iTunes
- Best Apple Watch Bluetooth Headphones:
- How to Delete Apple Watch Backups from iPhone
- How to Use Your Apple Watch As Apple TV Remote