When you unpair the Apple Watch, everything on it is erased and restored to the factory settings. You need to do this if you wish to pair it with another iPhone or fix some watch problems. So, let’s go ahead and learn how to unpair your Apple Watch from paired iPhone or even without it.
How to Unpair Your Apple Watch With iPhone
Doing it using the Watch app on the iPhone creates a backup of the Apple Watch (which lets you restore in the future), and you are also able to remove the Activation Lock. In most cases, this should be the preferred way.
Begin by keeping both the devices near and follow the steps below.
- Open the Watch app on the paired iPhone and ensure you are in the My Watch tab.
- From the top left, tap on All Watches.
- Tap on ‘i‘ next to the watch you wish to unpair.
- Tap on Unpair Apple Watch.
- For Cellular Model: Choose to keep (if you want to pair the watch and iPhone again) or remove the plan.
- Tap on Unpair YourName’s Apple Watch. Enter your Apple ID password when asked. This will remove the Activation Lock.
Now, the iPhone will create a backup of the watch. Accordingly, it may take a while for the process to complete. Once accomplished your Apple Watch and the iPhone will be successfully unpaired.
How to Unpair Your Apple Watch Without iPhone
You can unpair the Apple Watch even if you do not have access to the paired iPhone. The only downsides are that the watch backup isn’t created via this method (since the iPhone isn’t physically near or connected). Plus, the Activation Lock stays (but you can remove it via iCloud) – more about it after the steps.
- Press the Digital Crown to see all apps. From here, tap on the Settings app.
- Tap on General.
- Scroll to the bottom and tap on Reset.
- Tap on Erase All Content and Settings.
- For Cellular Model: Choose to keep or remove the plan.
- Scroll down and tap on Erase All. Confirm with your watch passcode, if asked.
This will unpair your Apple Watch and erase all the data. However, the Activation Lock remains. Thus, if you plan to sell this watch or gift it to someone, you must remove the Activation Lock on the Apple Watch.
This is how you can successfully unpair the Apple Watch and the iPhone. After this, if you need assistance, we have a separate post that shows you how to pair it.
If you are giving your watch to someone, it is an excellent idea to let them know how to install apps on their watchOS device.
In case you have switched to a new Apple Watch, here’s how to spice it with the best watch bands!