We have many apps installed on our macOS. Searching for apps seems painful and time-consuming, isn’t it? Launchpad on Mac is useful as it helps the user to open and organize the apps from Home Screen itself. It was a part of Apple’s initiative “Back to the Mac,” which makes the Mac look more like an iPad. Now, let’s learn how to use Launchpad on your Mac.
- How to Open the Launchpad on Your Mac
- How to Add or Move an App to the Launchpad on Mac
- How to Search for an App in Launchpad on Mac
- How to Organize Apps in Folders Launchpad on Mac
- How to Delete Apps in Launchpad on Mac
- How to Change Launchpad Icon Grid Layout on Mac
- How to Reset the Launchpad on Mac
How to Open the Launchpad on Your Mac
You can open the launchpad in three different ways.
- Click on the Launchpad icon available in the dock.
- Use four fingers to pinch in on your Trackpad.
- On your Touch Bar, tap on the arrow pointing towards left, find and tap on the 3*2 grid icon.
How to Add or Move an App to the Launchpad on Mac
Any app that has been recently downloaded from the App Store will be automatically visible in the launchpad and in case the app is not visible, our article will help you get them back.
If you have downloaded the app from some other source, the same can be added by moving the app to the launchpad from Applications folder.
How to Search for an App in Launchpad on Mac
- Open Launchpad.
- Click on the search bar at the top of your screen.
- Now, search the desired app.
How to Organize Apps in Folders Launchpad on Mac
Inside a folder, the apps can be arranged depending on usage and accessibility. If you are using an app regularly and wish to keep that in the top row of your folder. It can be done by dragging the app to the particular area of your folder.
Create a Folder
Creating a folder inside the Launchpad is effortless as you just have to drag one app onto another and the folder will be created.
Now, if you wish to add some more apps to it, simply drag them too into the desired folder.
Close a Folder
You’ve opened the folder and now you want to close it. Just click anywhere outside the folder.
Rename a Folder
Once you create the folder, it will have the default name. To rename the folder, open it and click on the default folder name.
You can write the folder name there and press the Enter key.
How to Delete Apps in Launchpad on Mac
Click and press on the app for a longer time and as soon as jiggle mode is activated it will show an ‘X’ icon at the upper left side of the apps. Now click on the ‘X’ on the app you wish to delete, the app will ask for confirmation and then delete it.
Note: If you are not able to delete a particular app as there is no X on the app, that might be because either the app wasn’t downloaded from the App Store or your Mac requires those apps to function. In that case, you can use the Finder to delete them.
How to Change Launchpad Icon Grid Layout on Mac
- Open the Terminal app using spotlight search.
- A command box will open up where you are supposed to enter the below-mentioned command:
defaults write com.apple.dock springboard-columns -int 4;defaults write com.apple.dock springboard-rows -int 6;defaults write com.apple.dock ResetLaunchPad -bool TRUE;killall Dock
Now, open Launchpad, you will see the rows and columns of the same have changed as per your commands. Here we have switched the rows and columns to 4*6 from 5*7. In case you wish to change the grid to some other range, it can be done by modifying the numbers in the given commands.
How to Reset the Launchpad on Mac
- Open the Finder and click on Go at the Menu bar of your Mac screen.
- Press and hold on the Option Key.
- Now, click on Library.
- Find and double click on the Application Support folder.
- And in that, find the Dock folder.
- Now, right-click on file names ending with .db and choose Move to Bin.
- Next, right-click on Bin icon and select Empty bin.
- Click on the Apple icon at the top left corner of your screen.
- Click on the Restart Button.
That’s all from us!!
Launchpad will help you do your tasks effortlessly if you have correctly optimized it according to your usage. The best part is that macOS users can open it in several ways, which makes it even more comfortable for the users to take a moment and explore the same.
Do share your valuable views in the comment section below!! We’ll see you super soon with more such interesting articles to troubleshoot your iOS issues!
Till then keep reading!!
Other Contents you may like to read:
- How to Password Protect a Folder on Mac
- Show Filename Extensions on Mac
- How to Use Markup to Edit Screenshots on Mac
- How to Use Spotlight on Your Mac