Instagram is certainly an app you open at least once a day. To share memes, to watch reels, or, just like me, to see who slid into my DMs. And not just people; Instagram has silently slid a new feature into our DM section. With functionality like the “status” feature, Instagram Notes lets you say what’s on your mind.
And while it is pretty simple to use, many users don’t know how to make the most of it. So, here we are, helping you understand how to use Instagram Notes on iPhone or Android device.
- What are Notes feature on Instagram?
- How to create and share a note on Instagram from iPhone or Android
- How to add music to Instagram Notes
- How to disable Notes on Instagram
What are Notes feature on Instagram?
Unlike the stories feature, which allows posting pictures and videos, Notes are more brief and quick as it has a 60-character limit. When posting a note, it won’t send any notification to your followers. However, they can see it in the DM/chats section and reply with a message if they want.
However, like stories shared on Instagram, the note will disappear after 24 hours. Simply put, you can say that Notes are text-based stories that can be shared in the DMs. It’s as easy as that.
Now that’s checked off our list, let’s move on to creating, sharing, and blocking Notes on Instagram. But first, my friend, ensure that you have updated the Instagram app on your iPhone.
- Launch the Instagram app and slide left for the DM section.
- Tap the plus icon on your profile picture’s top right corner.
Note: Instead of the Plus icon, you may see a block with “Your Note” written on it. Tap here to add a note.
- Type the message you want to share.
- Tap the Share button in the top right corner.
Tip: You can choose with whom to share the Note. Instagram allows users to share Notes with followers who follow them back or close friends.
Make the most of Instagram Notes
Here are some uses of Instagram Notes to make the most of it.
- Notes will disappear in 24 hours and can only be 60 characters in length.
- Notes can be a conversation starter, so keep them as catchy as they come (PS. They can even help you score a chat with your crush).
- Creators and businesses can use Notes to communicate news, updates, or pertinent information – they’re an easy way to get eyes on your announcements because they sit at the top of your audience’s inbox and won’t get lost in the noise of Stories.
But not everyone might be into notes. If you don’t like the feature or want to disable notes from certain entities, follow along.
How to add music to Instagram Notes
With the latest updates rolled out almost every day, here’s another one that’ll change the way you’ve been using the Notes feature on Instagram.
Users can now share their favorite music in Instagram Notes. Follow the steps prescribed below to try it out for yourself:
- Launch Instagram → Access the DMs section.
- Tap Your Note option and hit the Music icon.
You can share thoughts the traditional way if you desire.
- Search for your favorite artist or album, like you normally do.
- Choose a segment from the song and tap Done.
- Hit Share to conclude the process.
How to disable Notes on Instagram
Unfortunately, you can’t totally disable it, but there is a way to mute the Notes feature for a particular person. You can either mute notes from the Notes section or the person’s profile.
From the Notes section:
- Open the DMs where Notes are visible.
- Tap and hold the Note you want to mute.
- From the options, select Mute notes.
From the profile:
- Go to the profile you want to mute.
- Tap on the Following tab.
- Select Mute from the options.
- Toggle on the Notes switch from the options.
Note: If you want to unmute the Notes again, go to the mute option in the Profile and toggle it off to unmute the Notes from the Profile.
The notes can be utilized in multiple ways and convey thoughts to your friends who follow you. It is also one of the best places to share our shower thoughts. I am sure if you utilize the space well, you can kick-start many conversations with your friends. Have you used the Notes feature yet? Has it been of any use to you? Do ping us in the comments.
- How to turn off precise location on Instagram
- How to turn on Instagram Dark Mode on iPhone
- How to share screen on Instagram video calls
- How to fix Instagram not playing videos automatically on iPhone
Readers like you help support iGeeksBlog. When you make a purchase using links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read Disclaimer.