Instagram sends you notifications for new direct messages, followers, likes, etc. These keep you on track with the latest improvements. However, recently many users have reported that Instagram notifications are not working on their iPhones. If you are one of those, you have come to the right place. I have listed 10 tested solutions to fix this Instagram notification issue. Take a look.
- Check iPhone notification settings
- Check if “Do Not Disturb” is on
- Check your Instagram app notifications
- Check your network connection
- Restart your iPhone
- Reinstall the Instagram app on your iPhone
- Logout from your Instagram account
- Enable background refresh
- Disable low power mode
- Update Instagram app
Solution 1. Check iPhone notification settings
- Open the Settings app and tap Notifications.
- Scroll down and tap Instagram.
- Make sure the switch for Allow Notifications is green.
- Next, ensure that all three options under ALERTS are ticked.
- Also, ensure that the toggle for Sounds is green.
Solution 2. Check if “Do Not Disturb” is on
When Do Not Disturb (DND) is on, you won’t receive any app notification. Thus, bring up the iPhone Control Center and make sure the crescent moon icon isn’t purple. If it is, tap it to turn off DND.
You can also do the same by following the steps below:
- Open the Settings app, and tap Do Not Disturb.
- Turn off the switch for Do Not Disturb, if it is ON.
Solution 3. Check your Instagram app notifications
- Open Instagram on your iPhone and tap the profile icon from the bottom right.
- Tap the hamburger icon (three lines) from the top right.
- Tap Settings → Notifications.
- Ensure Pause All is not enabled.
- Next, tap individual options like Posts, Stories, and Comments, Following and Followers, Messages, etc. From the next screen, choose the desired option.
Solution 4. Check your network connection
Instagram notifications will only work when your iPhone is connected to the internet. It can be Wi-Fi or Cellular data.
Let us quickly check if your iPhone has an active net connection or not. For this, open Safari and try to visit any website. If it loads, that means things are fine here.
Tip: If you are on mobile data, open the Settings app → Cellular → scroll down and make sure the switch for Instagram is green.
If the internet is not working, the following resources will help:
- 3G/4G/LTE not working on iPhone or iPad? Here’s how to fix it
- WiFi not working in iOS 14 on iPhone or iPad? Here are 10 ways to fix it
Solution 5. Restart your iPhone
It is understood that in the regular course of use, your iPhone may encounter glitches that are addressed effortlessly by a simple restart.
Thus, one potential solution to fix the Instagram notifications issue is to turn off your iPhone and turn it back on after a minute.
Solution 6. Reinstall the Instagram app on your iPhone
- From the iPhone Home Screen or App Library, long-press the Instagram app icon. Tap Delete App → Delete.
- Restart your iPhone.
- Long-press the App Store icon and tap Search.
- Type Instagram and download the app.
- Re-login and the notification issue may no longer bother you.
Solution 7. Logout from your Instagram account
- Inside the Instagram app, tap the profile icon from the bottom right.
- Tap the hamburger icon from the top right.
- Tap Settings.
- Scroll to the bottom and tap Log out [your username].
You may tap Remember, which will help you re-logging in.
Solution 8. Enable background refresh
In rare cases, if Instagram (and other apps) notifications are inconsistent, enabling Background App Refresh may help.
- Open the Settings app and tap General.
- Tap Background App Refresh.
- Tap Background App Refresh and choose an option other than Off.
- Go back and make sure the toggle next to Instagram is green.
Tip: This may affect the battery life. Thus, you may choose to turn off the toggles for other apps.
Solution 9. Disable low power mode
- Launch the Settings app and tap Battery.
- Turn off the switch for Low Power Mode.
- For some users, disabling this has helped. Thus it is worth a try.
Solution 10. Update Instagram app
- Long-press the App Store icon and choose Updates.
- Pull down this screen to refresh it.
- Tap UPDATE next to Instagram.
Fix Instagram notifications not working on your iPhone!
These were the effective solutions to start receiving Instagram notifications flawlessly on the iPhone. I believe one or a combination of fixes worked for you.
Next, take a moment to read some more Instagram related posts to stay updated.