If you enjoy multitasking, it’s possible to play YouTube in the background on iPhone and iPad. This means you can use other apps while listening to your favorite content. Usually, this feature is only available on the premium version of YouTube, but in this post, we’ll show you two alternative methods to try. Let’s have a look.
Note: Both methods work with any browser like Safari, Chrome, Firefox, etc. However, the screenshots we used are from Safari.
How to Play YouTube Videos in Background in iOS 14
For this, open any browser (like Safari, Chrome, Firefox). Next, play a video and tap the full-screen icon. Finally, tap the PiP icon from the top left. The video plays in a small popup. Swipe it all the way to the right or left and enjoy YouTube playback in the background.
Pro Tip: Don’t want to tap the PiP icon? Open the Settings app → General → Picture in Picture → turn on the toggle for Start PiP Automatically. From now, when a video is playing in full screen, simply swipe up from the bottom of the screen to enter PiP mode.
Note: You can not get background play in the YouTube app as it is a YouTube Premium feature.
How to Play YouTube in Background in iOS 13
- First, launch a browser on your iPhone/iPad
- Type youtube.com in the address bar and play the desired video.
- Tap on AA and Tap on “Request Desktop Site.”
- When the YouTube video begins to play in Safari, go to the home screen
- Go to the Control Center and tap on the Play button.
So, make the most of this little but handy trick to enjoying your favorite videos while using other apps on your iOS device! Also, let us know your feedback in the comments below.
You might want to check out these posts as well:
- How to Live Stream iPhone/iPad Screen to YouTube
- How to Change YouTube Videos Playback Speed
- Remove All Offline YouTube Videos at Once
- How to Enable Dark Mode in YouTube