While you are watching any live streaming or informative video on your iPhone, if YouTube shows the “Something went wrong, Tap to retry” error, it’s frustrating, right? It can be caused by a variety of factors, such as a weak internet connection, an outdated version of the YouTube app, or a problem with your iPhone or iPad’s settings. In this blog post, I’ll provide easy solutions to fix this error.
- Force quit YouTube app
- Update YouTube app
- Reinstall YouTube app
- Turn on or off Airplane mode on iPhone
- Allow cellular data and background app refresh for YouTube app
- Sign out and back into your YouTube account
- Check for any outage
- Restart your iPhone
- Disable VPN on iPhone
- Reset network settings on iPhone
- Factory reset your iPhone
1. Force quit YouTube app
If YouTube is stuck, close the app from the background and other apps. If your iPhone has storage problems, it will release the RAM space. Then try to play videos again after a few minutes.
2. Update YouTube app
Try to update your apps on your iPhone or iPad regularly to avoid bugs. If you are using an outdated YouTube app, you may encounter multiple problems.
3. Reinstall YouTube app
It may happen that your YouTube app has a large amount of cached memory or clashes with iOS. So, in this case, you must offload the app or delete the app. Then you must install it again from the App Store.
- Open App Store → search YouTube.
- Tap the cloud icon next to YouTube.
Once it’s installed, try to play the videos.
4. Turn on or off Airplane mode on iPhone
If your network connection is slow or unstable, enable the Airplane mode for a few seconds and disable it. Doing so will refresh your networks, especially cellular data.
Also, you may check your Wi-Fi router to see if it’s working correctly and change the DNS server of your iPhone.
5. Allow cellular data and background app refresh for YouTube app
The YouTube app something went wrong error may also occur if you accidentally turn off cellular data for the app. So, ensure YouTube can access your cellular data correctly. Additionally, YouTube should have access to the Background App Refresh feature.
- Open Settings.
- Scroll and choose YouTube.
- Finally, toggle on Mobile data and Background App Refresh. Also, ensure all permissions are enabled.
6. Sign out and back into your YouTube account
Incorrect account settings may also cause streaming errors. Therefore, log out and then sign in to your YouTube account again. You may also use YouTube as a guest or in incognito mode.
- Open YouTube → tap your profile picture.
- Again tap your name.
- Tap Use YouTube signed out.
- Now select the profile icon.
- Then tap Sign in and choose the account.
7. Check for any outage
You started troubleshooting the YouTube error, but there’s no problem from your end. Actually, YouTube’s servers might be down, which is hampering the streaming.
Another possibility is that your area’s Content Delivery Network (CDN) service provider is experiencing problems. So, you must check for any outages. You may follow YouTube’s social media accounts to get updates.
8. Restart your iPhone
Apple itself tells us to restart the iPhone to fix minor iOS bugs. So, clear all background apps and shut down your iPhone. Then wait for a few minutes and turn it on again. After that, check if you can watch videos on YouTube.
9. Disable VPN on iPhone
Have you set up VPN on your iPhone to access YouTube videos unavailable in your country? If yes, then check if your VPN service provider is having an outage. It may cause network delays. Therefore, you won’t be able to watch YouTube content.
Additionally, it’s conceivable that YouTube has blocked the service you’re using. So, disconnect from the VPN and try to stream content using your cellular data.
10. Reset network settings on iPhone
Your iPhone may have some network firmware problem, or your customized network choices are causing a glitch. In that case, reset the network settings of your iPhone.
- Open the Settings app → go to General.
- Choose Transfer or Reset iPhone.
- Tap Reset → Reset Network Settings.
- Now enter your passcode.
- Finally, select Reset Network Settings again to confirm changes.
11. Factory reset your iPhone
If nothing works, do a factory reset to convert all the settings to default. As it will delete all your customization, I suggest backing up your iPhone.
Why does YouTube keep saying something went wrong?
You may encounter that the video stops playing randomly, and a black screen appears with this error message. Also, when you again play the video, it buffers and shows the same error. It can be due to various reasons, such as:
- Technical glitches: If your iPhone or the YouTube app is experiencing technical bugs, it can lead to an error message.
- Network connectivity issues: Weak or unstable network connections can also stop video streaming.
- Incorrect account settings: If your account settings are not configured correctly, you may see YouTube’s something went wrong error. So, remove any outdated or incorrect email addresses or passwords.
So, that’s all for today, folks!
The “Something went wrong, Tap to retry” error on YouTube can be a frustrating experience, but it’s not permanent. You can quickly fix the issue and enjoy your favorite videos on YouTube. And if you’re still encountering the error, reach out to the YouTube support team for further assistance. Happy streaming!
- Can’t play YouTube videos on iPhone and computer? 12 Fixes
- Best YouTube alternatives for iPhone
- 14 Ways to fix YouTube videos not playing on Mac’s Safari
- Tap to Wake not working on iPhone? 7 Ways to fix it!
Readers like you help support iGeeksBlog. When you make a purchase using links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read Disclaimer.