With the iOS 14, you can watch YouTube videos in Picture-in-Picture mode on the iPhone. Sounds exciting! But the catch is you need to use a browser for this. The official YouTube iOS app only supports background audio play, that too if you are a premium subscriber. Anyways, the browser method works well! Let me show you the steps to use YouTube in Picture in Picture mode on the iPhone and iPad.
- How to Use YouTube in Picture in Picture Mode in iOS 14
- How to Use YouTube in Picture in Picture Mode on iPad
How to Use YouTube in Picture in Picture Mode in iOS 14
- Open the desired YouTube video using Safari, Chrome, or any other iOS browser.
- Request a desktop version of the website: For this, in Safari, tap on the AA button from the top left. Next, tap on ‘Request Desktop Website.’ In Chrome, tap on the three dots icon in the bottom right and then tap on ‘Request Desktop Site.’
- Now, play the video. It will open in full screen. Tap on the PiP icon from the upper left.
That’s it! You are enjoying YouTube in Picture in Picture on iPhone running iOS 14.
How to Use YouTube in Picture in Picture Mode on iPad
Update: This method works (for free and premium users) only on iPad running iPadOS 14 and 13. Earlier it worked like a charm on iPhone running iOS 14 too. But as MacRumors reported, YouTube has removed this for iPhone unless you are a premium user.
New Update (2nd October 2020): Again, you can use YouTube in PiP mode on iPhone without requesting the desktop version of the website. (even if you are not a premium member) See the steps below.
- Open any browser like Safari, Chrome, Firefox.
- Go to YouTube.com and play your desired video.
- Tap on the full-screen icon.
- Tap on the Picture-in-Picture mode icon.
- The video starts playing in a small window. You can swipe up or press the Home button and continue to use other apps.
Customize PiP Window
You can tweak the PiP window to suit your needs.
- Move the Video – Simply hold & drag the minimized video anywhere on the screen.
- Resize the Video – Pinch the minimized window to zoom in or out.
- Listen in Background – What’s great is you can also hide or tuck the video to the side. While hidden from the view, you can still enjoy its audio. Just swipe the PiP window towards the corner to minimize it and tap on the arrow to bring it back.
- Disable PiP Mode – Tap on the PiP Mode icon on the top-right of the minimized screen to go back to fullscreen.
- Close PiP Mode – Tap on the cross from the top-left of the minimized screen.
- Disable Auto-PiP Mode in iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 – PiP mode is auto-enabled in supportive apps when you navigate to Home Screen. However, you may want it to invoke only when you tap the PiP mode icon. For this, go to Settings → General → Picture in Picture → toggle off Start PiP Automatically. After this, the video will stop playing when you move out of the app, like before. For iPadOS 13: Disable Picture in Picture from the Settings app → Home Screen & Dock.
This is how you can use YouTube in Picture-in-Picture on your iPhone and iPad. For macOS, make sure you see how to use PiP mode on your Mac. Besides, iOS 14, has bought several other amazing new features. Definitely check them out as well.
- How to Use Sound Recognition in iOS 14 and iPadOS 14
- App Library on iPhone in iOS 14
- How to Use Back Tap on iPhone Running iOS 14
- How to Turn On or Off YouTube Notifications on iPhone