Twitter offers a wealth of information, from funny memes to breaking news. However, the social media platform can be addictive, a source of misleading data, or simply unpleasant. If you’ve had a bad experience or are shutting down your business, here’s how to delete your Twitter account permanently.
- Things to know before you delete your Twitter account
- Download Twitter archive and Tweets before deleting the account
- How to delete your Twitter account on desktop
- How to delete your Twitter account on iPhone or Android
- What happens after you delete your Twitter account?
Things to know before delete your Twitter account!
- To delete your account, you must deactivate it.
- You can restore your Twitter account within 30 days of deactivating it.
- Your Tweets will still be available on Twitter and search engines. You can request Google not to show them by clicking here.
- If you are looking for a temporary notification break, learn how to offload the Twitter app from your iPhone.
Download Twitter archive and tweets before deleting the account
It’s always a good habit to keep a copy of your data. Twitter allows you to download the data associated with your account, like your tweets, people who follow you, people you follow, and other information easily. Here’s how you can do it.
- Open Twitter on your desktop via a web browser or the Twitter app on your mobile.
- If you’re accessing Twitter via web browser, click More and head over to Settings and Privacy.
On Twitter’s mobile app, tap the three-line icon at the top left and select Settings and privacy.
- Under Your Account, click Download an archive of your data.
- Enter your password, and verify your account again by sending a One-Time Passcode (OTP) to your email or phone number.
- Select Request your archive.
- Within 24-hours, a link will be sent to your phone number and email address from where you can download the data.
How to delete Twitter account on desktop?
- Go to Twitter.com and sign in with your credentials.
- Click More → Settings and Privacy.
- Under the Account Settings, click Deactivate your account.
- Click Deactivate.
- Enter your password, Two Factor Authentication OTP, and again click Deactivate.
How to delete your Twitter account on iPhone or Android
- Launch the Twitter app on your phone.
- Tap the three-line icon at the top left and select Settings and privacy.
- Go to Account.
- Tap Deactivate your Account.
- Select Deactivate and enter your password when prompted.
- Tap Deactivate and follow this up by tapping Yes, Deactivate.
What happens after you delete your Twitter account?
After you deactivate your account, Twitter removes your traces from social media immediately. However, your tweets might be visible across search engines for up to 30 days. After 30 days, Twitter deletes your account permanently.
If you have an account that you can no longer access, you can create a new Twitter account. From the account created, go to Twitter Support and request to delete your old account. Twitter will ask for some details about the old account to verify your identity, and if the Support feels right, your account will be deleted.
Unfortunately, there’s no way of deleting a suspended Twitter account. However, you can make a new Twitter account and request to unban your old account. Once unbanned, go ahead and delete it.
Yes. To reactivate, log in to Twitter, and in the prompt shown, tap Yes, Reactivate. But this must be done within 30 days of your clicking the deactivate button, as Twitter permanently deletes your account after it.
No. Unlike Instagram, you can’t have two Twitter accounts using the same email address. To use the same email on another account, transfer the old account’s email to some other credentials and deactivate the account.
Head over to https://tweetdelete.net, log in to your Twitter account and authorize the app. Now, select the tweets you want to delete. You can choose to delete tweets from specific dates or all of your tweets.
I hope this straightforward guide to deactivate your Twitter account was helpful. If you are experiencing any problems removing your Twitter account or have any related queries, share them in the comments section below.
- How to use Twitter Spaces on iPhone and Android
- How to download Twitter videos on iPhone and Android
- How to use Twitter Fleets on iPhone and iPad
- How to use Super Follows on Twitter to monetize your tweets
Readers like you help support iGeeksBlog. When you make a purchase using links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read Disclaimer.