Along with some fantastic new features, macOS Big Sur has enhanced Safari to be a faster, privacy-first browser. Moreover, you can customize the Safari start page on your Mac for a more personal experience. This includes things like setting a custom wallpaper, seeing Siri suggestions for webpages that may interest you, a privacy report about the sites you’re visiting, your favorites, Reading List, and more. Let’s check out the details.
- Safari Start Page Features in macOS Big Sur
- How to Hide or Unhide Safari Start Page Items in macOS Big Sur
- How to Delete Safari Start Page Items in macOS Big Sur
If you can’t see the start page when you launch Safari, here’s what to do. Click on Safari from the top menu → Preferences → General → here set ‘New Windows open with:’ to Start Page.
Safari Start Page Features in macOS Big Sur
The page compiles some old and some new items, to make your browsing experience more smooth. Let’s check them all in detail –
- Favorites – The section where all your favorite bookmarks are stored. Just tap on the website to open it
- Frequently Visited – As the name suggests, a host of websites that you have regularly visited while browsing
- Privacy Report – A new feature, wherein Safari brings transparency to your browsing activity. It lists in detail, which website has attempted to track you
- Siri Suggestions – Siri studies your browsing behavior and accordingly lines up webpages that you might be looking for at that moment
- Reading List – The webpages you have added that you want to read or refer to later
- iCloud Tabs – This feature will only show up if your Safari is synced with iCloud across devices. You can enable the feature by clicking on the Apple logo in the menu bar → System Preferences → Apple ID → Check the box next to Safari
- Background Image – It doesn’t affect your browsing experience. But with a custom wallpaper on the Safari start page, you can set the welcome page per your taste
As you can see, macOS Big Sur has gone all out on the personalization theme. And the best part, you can tinker around with them to match your work profile and preferences.
How to Hide or Unhide Safari Start Page Items in macOS Big Sur
Indeed a lot is going on in the Safari start page this time around. It can go chaotic for a lot of users.
Thankfully, you can quite easily manage the number of items showing up on the start page.
- Open Safari on your Mac
- Click on the menu button (three-toggle icon) from the bottom right of the page.
- Here check or uncheck the items you want to show or hide from the start page.
An alternate method is to right-click any empty space on the start page. From the contextual menu, select or deselect the items.
There’s more, you can also micro-manage these items. Choose which website to keep or remove and more such options.
How to Delete Safari Start Page Items in macOS Big Sur
All these features have been added to make your Safari experience smoother and faster. While Apple has done its part, it’s up to you now to keep each section organized and perfectly tailored for your needs.
Remove a Specific Favorited Bookmark
Right-click on a favorited website, then select Delete to remove it from the list.
Do note that you can also Rename or Edit Address from this setting.
Remove a Frequently Visited Website
To remove a frequently visited webpage from Safari’s home page, right-click on the website, and select Delete.
Stop Siri Suggestion from Showing up
Go to the suggested website & Right-click or two-finger tap. Select Don’t Suggest This Website from the pop-up menu.
You can also use the method to shift a website from Siri Suggestion to Reading List.
Remove a Particular Reading List
The method to delete a website from Safari Reading List is relatively similar, right-click and select Remove-Item.
We love the overall feel and features added to the macOS 11 Big Sur. It even sports iOS-like Control Center and widgets. Amazingly customization is at the core of all of them, ensuring a user-centric experience for all Mac users.
You may also like to read: