If you have multiple Apple IDs, you might have to use different IDs on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac. The good thing is that you won’t lose data, photos, apps, or subscriptions when doing so!
Yes, it’s that convenient and simple! This guide will help you learn how you can change Apple ID on iPhone, iPad, Mac, or Windows. But before that, how is it different from switching Apple ID? Let’s find out.
Difference between switching Apple ID and changing Apple ID
- Keep in mind, switching Apple ID is different from changing. While in the former scenario you intend to jump over to an entirely new ID, in the latter you just wish to tweak or for that matter edit your ID
- If you sign out of your current Apple ID and log in with another one, you will lose your purchased apps, Apple Music subscription, and even iCloud storage plan. Of course, you do get the option to keep a copy of your Contacts, Keychain, News, Reminders, Safari, and Stocks
- When logging in with the new ID, Apple lets you merge the data on your iPhone with the iCloud account that’s associated with the different Apple ID. However, it’s not good enough and not everything travels to the other side of the fence
- Let’s set the record straight; you won’t lose any of your data if you edit your Apple ID. To be more precise, your Apple Music subscription, purchased apps, contacts will remain intact. Apple ensures a seamless experience, so there is no chance of any mishap
In this guide, I’m solely focused on editing the Apple ID as it’s a better way to not just tweak the ID but also keep everything secure.
How to change Apple ID on iPhone and iPad without losing data
- Launch Settings app on your iOS device → Tap Apple ID banner.
- Tap Name, Phone Numbers, Email → Tap Edit Next to CONTACTABLE/REACHABLE AT.
- Now, Tap the red button and hit the Delete button.
- A popup will appear on the screen reading, “Please choose another address to use as your Apple ID.” Tap Continue.
- Next up, you will need to authenticate using your passcode. Then, enter your new email ID. For example, email@example.com → Tap on Next.
- Now, you will receive an email with a verification code. Verify it and you are done!
Changing Apple ID from a computer is just as straightforward. Read on…
How to change Apple ID on Mac or Windows PC
- First off, open any web browser and head over to https://appleid.apple.com.
- Now, sign in using your current Apple ID and password.
- If you have enabled Two-Factor Authentication, enter the code.
- Next to Account section, click on Edit.
- Click on Change Apple ID.
- Enter the new email ID and hit Continue. Now, Apple will send you an email with a verification code. Verify it to confirm.
That’s all there is to it! Check out all of your data. It will remain unchanged. Told you, it’s pretty seamless.
Hope, the mystery has been busted…
That’s how you can kill two birds with one stone. Follow this same trick to switch to a new ID without having to kill anything.
You might want to refer to these posts as well:
- Setup and Listen to Podcasts on Apple Watch in watchOS 5
- Universal Control not working between Mac and iPad
- How to Disable Apple Music Listening History on iPhone and iPad
- How to use Universal Control between Mac and iPad
A tech-aficionado whose superpower lies in blabbering interminably about new technologies. After 4+ years and 4500+ content pieces that helped diverse companies grow, I followed my passion and made iGeeks Media my home. When not gushing over technology, you will find me immersed in a fictional world, either reading or creating one.