Convenience and intuitive ease of use are some of the prime benefits of owning multiple Apple devices. A small yet significant example of this is the ability to use your Apple Watch to unlock a Mac. This happens when you are very close to your Mac and eliminates the need to enter your password. However, there are several aspects to consider, so let’s learn how you set up auto-unlock on Mac.
Before You Start Using Auto Unlock
- Check this link to ensure that your Mac and Apple Watch are compatible. You will need a Mac manufactured mid-2013 and later.
- Make sure your Apple Watch is running watchOS 3 or later, and your Mac is running macOS Sierra or later.
- Turn on WiFi and Bluetooth on your Mac.
- Enable two-factor authentication for your iCloud account.
- Your Apple Watch and Mac must be using the same iCloud account.
- Make sure you have set a passcode on your Apple Watch and Mac.
How to Set up Auto Unlock on Your Mac
- Click on the Apple icon at the top left of the screen and select System Preferences.
- Next, click on Security & Privacy.
- Click on the General tab.
- Tick the box to “Use your Apple Watch to unlock apps and your Mac.”
- You will need to enter your Mac password to confirm.
Now, the auto-unlock feature is activated.
Note: If your Apple Watch is locked or not on your wrist, you won’t be able to use it to unlock your Mac. Your computer will only recognize the device and allow you to turn on Auto Unlock when the watch is on your wrist and unlocked.
Unlock your Mac with your Apple Watch
Once you have enabled auto-unlock on your Mac, the feature will work when you’re wearing your unlocked watch and are physically close to your Mac. When necessary, you can move your watch a little closer to trigger the auto-unlock.
Unlock Mac with Apple Watch Not Working? Here Are Fixes
If you run into problems and you cannot unlock your Mac with your Apple Watch, there are several solutions you can try. For instance, you can disable automatic login and enable it again, or you can check if your watch and computer are paired correctly.
So, as you can see, it’s pretty straight forward to unlock your Mac using Apple Watch. Just make sure that you follow all the criteria mentioned at the start of this post.
You might also like to explore:
- Make and Receive Phone Call on Mac and iPad
- Create Slideshow on Mac in Photos App
- Put Your Name on Mac Menu Bar
- Type Degree° Symbol on Mac