The Walkie-Talkie app on Apple Watch is a pretty cool and useful way to communicate with a friend or family member. For instance, it can come to your rescue when trying to find each other in a crowd, as long as you both have an Apple Watch with watchOS 5.4 or later. Sounds interesting? Before we learn how to use Walkie-Talkie on your Apple Watch Series 5, 4, 3, 2, or 1; let’s first understand the feature.
What is Walkie-Talkie on Apple Watch?
Apple Watch Walkie-Talkie app is built on the same basic idea as the actual hardware walkie-talkies. You might have seen such devices used by construction workers, train drivers, signalmen, etc.
How it works is you hold a TALK button and speak. Your friend, on the other end, also holds this button on his Apple Watch and replies back.
But to make this work both you and your friend need to have FaceTime enabled on your iPhone. Now that you have a brief idea about what Walkie-Talkie is, let us see how to use it.
- How to Add Friends to Walkie-Talkie App on Apple Watch
- How to Accept a Walkie-Talkie Invitation on Apple Watch
- How to Start and Talk Using Walkie-Talkie on Apple Watch
- How to Remove a Walkie-Talkie Friend on Apple Watch
- How to Turn Walkie-Talkie Availability OFF or ON
- Walkie-Talkie App Not Showing up on Apple Watch?
How to Add Friends to Walkie-Talkie App on Apple Watch
You need to add a friend before to talk using Walkie-Talkie. The person needs to have a compatible Apple Watch. To add friends from your contact list:
- Open the Walkie-Talkie app on your Apple Watch
- Now, scroll through your contacts and choose a friend who has compatible Apple Watch
- An invitation is sent to the selected contact. Currently, it will appear grey and under ‘Friends You Invited.’
- Once the person accepts your request, their contact card will turn yellow. From now onwards, you both can talk instantly using Walkie-Talkie
How to Accept a Walkie-Talkie Invitation on Apple Watch
When your friend sends you a Walkie-Talkie invitation, tap Always Allow. In case you miss this notification, you can find it again in your Apple Watch’s Notification Centre and also in the Walkie-Talkie app.
How to Start and Talk Using Walkie-Talkie on Apple Watch
- Open the Walkie-Talkie app.
- Tap on a friend’s name.
- Touch and hold the TALK button. Now go ahead and speak
You may see ‘connecting’ on the screen. Wait for it to connect. Once it gets connected, your friend will hear you, and then you both may converse on Walkie-Talkie.
To talk, you need to touch and hold the TALK button when you speak. Once you are done, leave the hold. Your friend, too, when he needs to speak something, he has to touch and hold the TALK button.
- Your friend will receive alerts when you talk if he is wearing the Apple Watch and has Walkie-Talkie turned ON
- You can use Walkie-Talkie with cellular data (if supported) or Wi-Fi, even when your iPhone is not nearby
- If you want to increase or decrease the volume, turn the Digital Crown of your Apple Watch
How to Remove a Walkie-Talkie Friend on Apple Watch
You can remove a friend from the Apple Watch itself or use the paired iPhone. Here is how.
On your Apple Watch: Open the Walkie-Talkie app → Now swipe right to left on your friend’s name and tap on red delete button.
On your paired iPhone: Open the Watch app and tap Walkie-Talkie → Edit → red minus icon before the friend’s name → Remove.
How to Turn Walkie-Talkie Availability OFF or ON
If you do not want to be available for Walkie-Talkie as you need some uninterrupted time, you can turn it OFF. Here is how.
- Open the Walkie-Talkie app on Apple Watch
- Go to the top of the friend list and tap on Walkie-Talkie toggle to turn it OFF (and back ON when needed)
Additionally: You can also use the watch Control Centre to turn it OFF or ON. For this open Control Centre on Apple watch and tap on the Walkie-Talkie button.
After you have followed the above steps, turned OFF your Walkie-Talkie availability, and now if someone tries to contact you, the watch will show you a notification asking if you would like to talk.
Walkie-Talkie App Not Showing up on Apple Watch?
If the Walkie-Talkie app is not showing up or working correctly on your Apple Watch, then follow the below fixes.
- Update Your Apple Watch: Walkie-Talkie is only available for watchOS 5.4 and later
- Make sure FaceTime is set up, turned on, and working correctly on your iPhone
- Restart your Apple Watch and your iPhone if the Walkie-Talkie issue continues
That’s all, folks!
Now, whenever you lose track of your friend or family member in a crowded mall or concert, you can use this handly litle app to find them. Of course, it’s in no way a replacement for calls, but hey, it can certainly be fun and useful now and then. What do you think? Let us know in the comments down below.
You may also check out related posts: