Things you need to know:
- You can view all the changes to your account history from Profile → hamburger menu → Your activity.
- To download Instagram data on iPhone: Profile → hamburger menu → Your activity → Download your information.
- To download your Instagram data on Mac, visit Instagram → Gear button → Download data.
It’s true as day that Meta’s Facebook and Instagram use our data for monetary benefits. If you are as privacy-conscious as me and want to know what all access Instagram has to your data, there is an option to view and download your Instagram data from iPhone or Android, and here’s how you can do it.
- How to view your Instagram data on iPhone and Android
- How to download your Instagram data on iPhone and Android
- Download your data from Instagram on Mac and PC
How to view your Instagram data on iPhone and Android
Since Instagram is known for data breaches, they have taken measures to improve your control over the data provided to the social media giant. As its part, they have provided the option to review and make changes to your Instagram data.
- Open Instagram and tap your Profile.
- Tap the hamburger menu at the top right.
- Select Your activity.
On this page, you can select various options, such as Time spent, Photos, and videos, and see all data you have shared with Instagram. Not only will it show your account’s current activity but also your Recently deleted posts. Now, let’s look at the steps to download these data.
How to download your Instagram data on iPhone and Android
Now that you know where to see your data on Instagram, it’s time to look at the steps you need to follow to download your Instagram account data. The steps vary depending on which platform you use. I have mentioned the steps for each below.
Download your data from the Instagram app
- Open your profile → tap the hamburger menu.
- Select Your activity.
- Scroll down and tap Download your information.
- Enter the email id where you want to receive your Instagram account data.
- Tap Request download.
- Enter your account password → tap Next.
- Tap Done.
Download via mobile browser
Other than the app, you can also download your Instagram data from the mobile browser version. For that:
- Visit instagram.com on any browser on your iPhone.
- Login to your ID.
- Tap your profile.
- Next, tap Settings (Gear icon).
- Select Privacy and Security.
- Scroll down to Data Download and tap Request Download.
- Enter your Email → select the Information Format.
- Here, enter your Password → tap Request Download.
Note: While downloading the data, request in machine-readable HTML or JSON format to view a copy of everything you’ve shared on Instagram.
Download your data from Instagram on Mac or PC
- Login to Instagram → open your profile.
- Click the Gear button.
- Select Privacy and security.
- Scroll down to Download data → click Request download.
- Enter the email where you want to receive the data.
- Select the Information format → click Next.
- Next, enter your password → click Request Download.
You will be informed that Instagram has received your request and will be delivered once it’s collected all the data.
No. Downloaded Instagram data won’t include deleted data. You will only receive photos, videos, and messages that are not deleted.
Usually, the time taken by Instagram to send your account data depends upon the size of information your account has. According to Instagram, this will take a maximum of 14 days.
Since Instagram is always in the limelight for data breaches and privacy concerns, it is best to know which of your information Instagram has access to. Would you delete Instagram after seeing the amount of your data Instagram stores? Let me know in the comments.
Here are some more tips and tricks about Instagram: