Despite its convenience, WhatsApp can also get pretty annoying at times. Whether it’s forwards full of false information, persistent unwanted messages, or privacy concerns, there are plenty of reasons to deactivating WhatsApp permanently. This guide will cover everything you need to know and explain how to delete WhatsApp account for good. Before we get to the actual process, let’s first understand what exactly is involved.
- What Happens When You Delete Your WhatsApp Account?
- Alternatives to Deleting WhatsApp Account
- How to Permanently Delete your WhatsApp Account on iPhone
- Can You Reactivate a Deleted WhatsApp account?
What Happens When You Delete Your WhatsApp Account?
When you permanently delete your WhatsApp account:
- Your chat history is completely erased.
- You are removed from all your WhatsApp groups, including the ones in which you are an admin.
- Your WhatsApp iCloud backup will be deleted. This means you will not be able to recover your chats later on.
- You will no longer receive any messages.
- Your profile picture and About section will no longer be displayed.
- Photos and videos you’ve received will be lost unless you manually saved them (or your WhatsApp settings was enabled to save all photos automatically to Camera Roll.)
- Messages and media that you had already sent will remain unaffected on recipients’ phones.
As evident from the above points, deleting your WhatsApp account is an extreme measure that gets rid of all your information. Before you do that, you may like to look at two less severe options.
Alternatives to Deleting WhatsApp Account
Offload the WhatsApp
This will remove the WhatsApp app, but all your chats, media, and everything else will stay saved locally on your iPhone.
To offload App, open the Settings app → tap on General → tap on iPhone Storage. Now, wait for a few seconds and then tap on WhatsApp → Next, tap on Offload App and confirm.
Anytime you wish to start using WhatsApp again, tap on its app icon from the Home screen. After the download is complete, you can use WhatsApp like before.
Uninstall/Delete the App
Before proceeding deleting WhatsApp, make sure you make a backup of WhatsApp chats in iCloud. This will help you restore everything when you decide to reuse this app.
To uninstall, touch and hold on the WhatsApp icon. Next, tap on Delete App and confirm.
Aftermath of uninstalling or offloading: You will not receive any messages. The sender will see only a single tick when they send you a message. However, your profile picture, about, etc. are shown, like normal. You will also continue to be a part of existing WhatsApp groups.
Still, want to delete your account? Here are the steps. Take a look.
How to Permanently Delete your WhatsApp Account on iPhone
- Open WhatsApp on your iPhone
- Tap on Settings at the bottom of the screen.
- Select Account → Delete Account.
- Enter your full phone number and select Delete my account.
Your account will be permanently deleted, but the app will still remain on your iPhone until you uninstall it.
Can You Reactivate a Deleted WhatsApp account?
A simple answer is no. You can create a new account with the same phone number and the same iPhone. However, since your iCloud backup will have also been deleted, you will not be able to restore any chats or media.
- Open WhatsApp on your iPhone. If you had uninstalled the app, get it again from the App Store.
- Follow the instructions on-screen and enter your mobile phone number.
- You will receive a verification code to activate your account.
Once verified, you’ll have a new WhatsApp account and can message contacts again as usual.
That’s all, mate!
This is how you can delete your WhatsApp account. Finally, if you wish to only remove the sent and received photos and videos that are clogging up your phone, you can clear WhatsApp data storage.