The Mail app is one of the most valuable apps on iPhone or iPad. It allows you to read and manage all your emails in one place. However, the app does not enable users to delete all emails with a single click. This article will walk you through the process of how to delete all emails at once from the Mail app on your iPhone or iPad.
How to delete all emails at once on iPhone and iPad
- Launch the Mail app on your iPhone.
- Enter your Inbox → tap Edit.
- Tap Select All if you wish to delete all your emails.
Alternatively, you may just select the emails you wish to delete.
- Tap Delete at the bottom-right → select Delete All to confirm your choice.
If you see Archive instead of Delete at the bottom right, then follow the steps mentioned below to change your default option in the inbox.
Set Delete as your default option in Inbox
- Launch the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Scroll down and tap Mail → select Accounts.
- Now, select your mail service provider.
Here, I am going with Gmail.
- Tap Account → select Advanced.
- Select Deleted Mailbox under Move Discarded Messages Into.
That’s it! Now, you’ll see Delete instead of Archive in your Inbox, and you can trash messages conveniently.
Note: Remember to select the specific email ID from which you wish to remove emails if you have multiple Gmail accounts.
3 Alternate ways to delete email from Mail app on iPhone or iPad
There are a few other ways to delete emails in the Mail app on your iPhone or iPad. Here’s a list.
Move to delete
- Open Mail app → tap Edit.
- Select the emails you wish to delete.
You may also tap Select All if you wish to delete all your emails.
- Tap Move located at the bottom.
- Tap Bin to transfer all selected emails to the trash at once.
Swipe to delete emails on iPhone and iPad
This method is only viable if you seek to delete one particular email at a time.
- Swipe all the way to the left on a particular email to delete the entry.
- However, if you want more control over that mail, swipe halfway to the left and select from options such as More, Flag, or Delete.
Press and hold to delete mails in Mail app
If you’re old school, you can simply long-press the email and select Delete Message from the context menu.
This method can get very annoying if you seek to delete multiple emails. So, I’d suggested going with the other methods mentioned above.
All deleted emails are transferred to the Bin folder. Meanwhile, an archived email is forwarded to the Archive folder, which can be accessed anytime in the future.
Navigate to the Bin folder and select the emails you wish to delete permanently. Next, tap Edit→ Select All→ Delete. These steps will permanently delete all emails on your iPhone.
Deleted emails will be in the Bin for 30 days. If the emails are deleted from the bin or have crossed their due time, they cannot be recovered.
Deleting all emails at once in the Mail app is a simple process that can be accomplished in just a few steps, as mentioned above. I hope this article has helped you improve your email management and also free up space on your device.
If you have any further queries, please let me know in the comments! I’d be happy to help.
- 5 Ways to fix Mail app missing on iPhone
- How to save an email as a PDF on iPhone, iPad, and Mac
- Remove unwanted email suggestions from iPhone/iPad Mail app
- How to add or remove email account in Mail app on Mac
Yash is a driven individual with a passion for technology and its impact on our world. His aim is to educate and inform others about the newest advancements in technology and how they can benefit society. In consonance, he is deeply indulged in anime and Marvel Cinematic Universe, if not writing.