There are all sorts of reasons why you may want to change the Apple ID payment method. Perhaps, your credit/debit card has expired, or you just want to update the existing information so that your incessant shopping of cool games and apps never hits a bumpy ride. That said, the tech giant offers multiple ways to update the payment method associated with the Apple ID across platforms including iOS, macOS, Windows, and Android so that you can edit the whole info with ease.
- How to Change Your Apple ID Payment Method on iPhone and iPad
- How to Change Your Apple ID Payment Information on Mac
- Update Apple ID Payment Using iTunes on Windows PC
- How to Use Apple ID Website to Update Apple ID Payment Method
- How to Change Apple ID Payment Method on Android or Google Chromebook
- Change Apple ID Payment Method Using Apple TV Website
- When you set up Family Sharing and activate purchase sharing on your iDevice, you as the family organizer will have complete control over the single shared payment method for everyone in the family group
- Moreover, as a family organizer, you have the freedom to add multiple payment methods to your own Apple ID. But keep in mind, your family members will be able to use only the first payment method on the list
- Launch Settings app on your iPhone → Tap on your Profile.
- Now, tap on Payment & Shipping.
Note: Alternately, open Settings → iTunes & App Store → Apple ID → View Apple ID. Now, enter your Apple ID password to sign in. After that tap on Manage Payments/Payment Information.
- Next up, update the payment method associated with your Apple ID as per your needs. Edit Your Payment Information: Tap on the payment method and then edit the information. If asked, enter the security code found on your credit/debit card. Finally, tap on Done to update the info.Side Note:
- If Apple Pay appears after the last 4 digits of your card number, head over to the Wallet app to update the card information
- One more thing worth noting is that you can also add a new payment method if you want to by following the usual procedure
Reorder Your Apple ID Payment Methods: Aside from letting you update the payment methods, iOS also lets you change their order.
To do so, tap on Edit and then use the hamburger icon to rearrange the payment methods. Keep in mind, you won’t be able to change the order in which the Apple ID balance is charged.
Remove an Apple ID Payment Method: Tap on Edit and then hit the Remove icon or swipe left.Now, tap on remove and confirm to delete the payment method.
How to Change Your Apple ID Payment Information on Mac
- Open App Store on your Mac → Click on your name in the sidebar → View Information.
- You may have to enter your Apple ID password to authenticate.
- Now, Click on Manage Payments located next to Payment Information.
- Next, go ahead and edit the info as desired.
Update the Payment Info: To update a payment method, you need to click on the Edit option next to the payment method.Now, click on Done to update the info.Reorder Payment Methods: Simply, hover the pointer over a payment method and then use the move order icon to reorder your Apple ID payment methods as desired.Remove a payment method: To remove a payment method, click on Edit located next to a specific payment method.Now, click on Remove.
Update Apple ID Payment Using iTunes on Windows PC (macOS Mojave or Earlier)
With the introduction of macOS Catalina, Apple has eventually shut down iTunes on Mac. But the media library continues to exist on Windows and older macOS versions.
- Open iTunes on your PC or Mac running macOS Mojave or earlier.
- Now, click on Account in the menubar at the top of your screen and click on View My Account.
- Next, you may need to enter your Apple ID.
- Now, click on Manage Payment located to the right of Payment Type.
- Now, go ahead and update the information.
- After that, click on Done in the bottom right corner to finish.
How to Change Apple ID Payment Method Using Apple ID Website
- Open a web browser and go to appleid.apple.com.
- After that, sign in to your account and then head over to the Payments & Shipping section.
- Now, click on the Edit option and then update the info.
- Once you have updated the information, click on Save in the top right corner to finish.
How to Change Apple ID Payment Method on your Android Device or Google Chromebook
Updating payment methods related to Apple ID is also quite easy on Android devices and Chromebook.
But it’s worth reiterating that it will remove all payment methods except the primary method from your Apple ID and other devices synced with your Apple ID account.
If you don’t want it to happen, better use iTunes to update your payment information.
- Launch the Apple Music app on your Android or Chromebook device
- Now, you need to tap on the menu button at the top right corner
- Next, tap on Account → Payment Information.
- Next up, change or remove your information as desired
Change Your Apple ID Payment Method Using Apple TV Website
There is also a way to update payment information related to Apple ID using tv.apple.com. But do note that you won’t be able to edit your payment info at this site if you have multiple payment methods on file.
- Head over to tv.apple.com and sign in with your Apple ID
- Now, click on the account button located at the top of the screen
- Next, tap on Account Settings in the menu that shows up. Under “Payment Type,” section, click on Edit. Now, update the info as per your need
Can’t Change Your Apple ID Payment Method?
If you are unable to change your payment info linked with your Apple ID, ensure that you don’t have an unpaid balance, there are no active subscriptions and you are no longer sharing purchases with your Family Sharing group. Besides, also, make sure your devices are updated.
So, that’s the way you can keep your payment info linked with your Apple ID updated. As there are multiple ways to get it done, it’s pretty easy to do regardless of whether you are deep into the Apple ecosystem or using other platforms.
More Hands-On Guides To Explore:
- Remove Apple ID Payment Method from iPhone or iPad
- How to Request Desktop Site in iOS 13 Safari on iPhone or iPad
- Sign Up to Apple One on iPhone and iPad
- How to Reset Apple ID Password on iPhone, iPad and Mac.
The founder of iGeeksBlog, Dhvanesh, is an Apple aficionado, who cannot stand even a slight innuendo about Apple products. He dons the cap of editor-in-chief to make sure that articles match the quality standard before they are published.