If you want to manage interactions with anyone on Instagram, you may Block or Restrict them. However, the user will be aware if you have blocked them. Thankfully, Instagram’s Restrict function may help you escape such uncomfortable circumstances. Read along to know the difference between Block and Restrict and understand what happens when you restrict someone on Instagram.
- What does Restrict mean on Instagram?
- What happens when you restrict someone on Instagram?
- How to restrict someone in Instagram on iPhone
- How to unrestrict someone in Instagram on iPhone
What does Restrict mean on Instagram?
Instagram’s restriction feature aims to stop cyberbullying and unwanted communications as well as foster a more welcoming community. You may use it to covertly restrict someone’s access to your account. It will also limit their interactions in your inbox and comment section. So, you may think it works the same as blocking, but no! There’s a lot of difference.
What is the difference between restricted and blocked on Instagram?
You may make your Instagram profile inaccessible to anyone by blocking them. If people search for it, they won’t be able to locate it. Also, they can’t access your posts, Stories, or profile information, and essentially, they will find out you have blocked them. On the other hand, the restriction is a soft version of blocking.
If you restrict someone, they can see your profile and posts. But you will not get their comments, messages, calls, and other notifications. The user (or your followers) will never know about this and will continue to view and comment on your posts.
What happens when you restrict someone on Instagram?
- When you restrict someone, they can leave comments on your posts, but no one else can see that except themselves.
Also, you may see those comments by tapping See comments and then decide whether to approve or delete the comments. Instagram will not send notifications when the user comments in the future.
- Restricted users can still message you and reply to your story. But you’ll receive them in your Requests inbox.
- You won’t be notified of any new messages from a restricted user. So, check the message Requests to see those messages. Until you accept them, read receipts will be off.
- To respond to a message from a restricted user, you’ll have to tap Unrestrict at the bottom.
- Restricted users will not see the green dot when they get online and when they were last active. Besides, you can’t see their tags. Sadly, you’ll be informed if they mention you anywhere. This implies that mentions are not compatible with Instagram’s Restrict feature.
How to restrict someone in Instagram on iPhone
Now you know what happens when you restrict someone on Instagram, let’s see how to do it. Restricting someone on Instagram can be done in three ways.
Restrict someone through messages
- Open the Instagram app on your iPhone.
- Tap the messenger icon at the top right.
- Now select the chat (of the user) that you wish to restrict.
- Tap the user’s name and scroll down below.
- Choose Restrict and confirm your choice by tapping Restrict Account.
Restricting someone on Instagram through comments
- Open the post where the user has commented, and tap View all comments.
- Now, scroll and find the comment. Then swipe left on that.
- Tap the exclamation icon and choose Restrict from the pop-up menu.
Now only you and that user can see the comment. Also, you have the control to Approve or Delete the comments from restricted users.
Restrict directly from user’s account
- On Instagram, search and open the account you want to restrict.
- Tap the three-dot icon at the top right corner.
- Choose Restrict.
How to unrestrict someone in Instagram on iPhone
- Open Instagram → Go to your profile and tap the hamburger menu at the top right corner.
- Tap Settings → Privacy.
- Now scroll down below and choose Restricted accounts.
- Tap Continue.
- It will show you the list of accounts you have restricted. Tap Unrestricted beside the user’s name.
If you find yourself in a group chat with a user who has restricted you, you will get a notice. You may then choose if you wish to leave the chat.
So, that’s all for today, folks!
The restriction feature is undoubtedly a great way to protect yourself from online bullies and their harsh comments. Do you find the feature useful? Let me know in the comments below.
I hope you will enjoy reading the following…
- How to hide your active status on Instagram
- Can you check who viewed your Instagram profile?
- How to turn off precise location on Instagram (and why you should)
- How to fix Instagram not playing videos automatically on iPhone
Readers like you help support iGeeksBlog. When you make a purchase using links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more.
Ava is an enthusiastic consumer tech writer coming from a technical background. She loves to explore and research new Apple products & accessories and help readers easily decode the tech. Along with studying, her weekend plan includes binge-watching anime.