Does your iPhone constantly ring or vibrate due to calls, messages, app notifications, and more? At night, in a meeting, while driving, on a date, or in a movie theater, you might want to cut off these notifications. And using Do Not Disturb (DND) on iPhone and iPad will do just that.
Let us get right in and see how to enable DND and customize its settings for a distraction-free time.
- How to enable Do Not Disturb on iPhone
- How to set up Do Not Disturb mode on iPhone
- Customize Do Not Disturb settings on iPhone
- How to turn on/off iPhone Do Not Disturb for one person
- How to bypass Do Not Disturb on iPhone
- Turn off Do Not Disturb on iPhone
How to enable Do Not Disturb on iPhone
Here are 3 ways to put DND on iPhone and iPad. After enabling it, all calls and notifications will be silenced. Plus, the screen would not light up when a call or notification arrives. (In silent mode, the screen lights up, and the iPhone vibrates.)
Note: In some places like India, when someone makes a regular call while your iPhone is on DND, they might hear the automated carrier response saying the person (you) is busy.
1. Enable DND via the Control Center
- Open Control Center:
- On iPhone with Face ID (iPhone X and later), swipe down from the screen’s top-right (where the battery icon is).
- On iPhone with a Home button, swipe up from the bottom of the screen.
- Tap the white, crescent moon icon. It will turn purple, which means DND is ON now.
- Tip: Long-press the moon icon to see more options.
2. Activate DND via Settings
- Open iPhone or iPad Settings and tap Do Not Disturb.
- Toggle on Do Not Disturb.
3. Enable DND using Siri
- Summon Siri:
- Say Hey Siri (if you have set it up)
- Press the Side button once on iPhone with Face ID.
- Press and hold the Home button on all other iPhones.
- Say ‘Enable Do Not Disturb.’
How to set up Do Not Disturb mode on iPhone
Have a daily routine when you do not want to be disturbed by calls and notifications? For example, you can schedule DND from 10 PM to 6 AM (when you are sleeping).
- Go to Settings and tap Do Not Disturb.
- Switch on Scheduled.
- Tap From and set the start time (like 10 PM).
- Tap To and set the end time (like 6 AM).
- Optional: You may also choose to dim the lock screen when DND is active.
Done! DND is scheduled. Your iPhone will automatically enter Do Not Disturb mode during the set time.
Customize Do Not Disturb settings on iPhone
The DND settings page has a few handy options that you can use for customization. Let us talk about them.
- In iPhone Settings, tap Do Not Disturb.
We have already covered enabling and scheduling above. Let us learn about the remaining options.
- If you choose Always, all iPhone call, message, and app notifications will be silenced even when the phone is unlocked, and you are using it. They will silently keep piling in the notification center.
- If you choose While iPhone is Locked, the call, message, and app notifications will be silenced only when iPhone is locked. If you are using it, all notifications will alert you normally.
- PHONE: Even during DND, you may want calls from favorite contacts (or all contacts or everyone). Tap Allow Calls From and select an option.
- REPEATED CALLS: Someone (say a family member or friend) might call you for immediate help. If you enable the switch for Repeated Calls, the second call from the same person within three minutes will bypass DND and ring like a regular call.
- DO NOT DISTURB WHILE DRIVING: You can learn all about it in our separate guide. It is a pretty handy option.
How to turn on/off iPhone Do Not Disturb for one person
Have a friend who is constantly sending messages and disturbing you? Sure, you can block him, but if you do not want to take this extreme action, here is how to hide only his message alerts. The rest of the iPhone calls and notifications will behave as usual.
- Open the Messages app and scroll to his conversation.
- Swipe right to left and tap the purple-white bell icon.
- Optional: You may also open the conversation, tap his name from the top, tap info, and enable Hide Alerts.
Follow the same steps to unmute.
How to bypass Do Not Disturb on iPhone
Using Emergency Bypass, you can get sound and vibrations for the particular contact even if they call when your iPhone is in DND mode or silent mode. Learn all about it and how to enable Emergency Bypass here.
Turn off Do Not Disturb on iPhone
Here are 4 ways to turn off DND on iPhone. It is just as easy as turning it on.
- From the iPhone lock screen, tap the DO NOT DISTURB message and tap Turn Off.
- You can also open Control Center and tap the purple moon icon. It will turn white, signifying DND is off.
- Open iPhone Settings, tap Do Not Disturb and toggle it off.
- Summon Siri, and ask, ‘Turn off Do Not Disturb.’
Once Do Not Disturb is off, all call, text, and app notifications will resume.
This is how you can use DND on your iPhone to get some quiet time. I believe this short post helped you navigate your way around DND mode. If you have additional questions, I am just a comment away.
Other related posts for you: