After you install iOS 14 and swipe right to left on the rightmost Home Screen, you see a new area. It is called the App Library. It has apps organized in different categories. This can help you change the way you have been using the Home Screen. Let me show you how to use the iPhone App Library in iOS 14. Before that, first to understand what it is.
- What is the App Library on iPhone?
- How to Access App Library in iOS 14
- How to Add an App to the App Library
- How to Use Search Bar in App Library
- How to Set App Downloads in the App Library
- How to Show and Hide Notification Badges in App Library
- How to Hide iPhone Home Screen Pages
- Some Interesting Possibilities Due to App Library
What is the App Library on iPhone?
App Library is a single screen that has all your downloaded and offloaded iPhone apps in one place. The applications are placed automatically in their proper categories like social, productivity, utilities, etc. On top, there are two more folders named Suggestions and Recently Added.
As of now, there is no way to rename the categories or move apps from one to another. You can scroll vertically to see the apps or use the handy search feature. Let us learn everything about it in the following sections.
How to Access App Library in iOS 14
- Swipe right to left on the last Home Screen, and you will get to the App Library.
- Here all the apps are put inside their proper categories.
- Tap on the full-size app icon to launch that app.
- Tap on the small app icons to see all apps from that category.
How to Add an App to the App Library
Note: By default, all of your iPhone apps are already in the App library, but if you want to remove the app from iPhone Home Screen. Here is how you can do it.
- Long-press on an app icon on the iPhone Home Screen.
- Tap on Remove App.
- Tap Remove from Home Screen.
The app will now only be visible in the App Library and Siri Search.
To add the app to the Home Screen again, open App Library, long-press on an app icon, and drag it left towards the Home Screen.
How to Use Search Bar in App Library
- From the App Library, drag down from anywhere or tap on the search bar.
- Use the keyboard to type the app name initials to find one quickly.
- Also, for ease, all apps here are listed alphabetically. Scroll and tap on one.
- Finally, you may also tap on A, B, C, D… from the right edge of the screen to quickly find the desired app.
How to Set App Downloads in the App Library
- Open the Settings app
- Tap on Home Screen.
- Here you can select where you want the new app downloads to show. Tap on App Library only.
How to Show and Hide Notification Badges in App Library
You can choose to show or hide Notification badges in the App Library.
- Open the Settings app
- Tap on Home Screen.
- Enable or disable the toggle for Show in App Library.
How to Hide iPhone Home Screen Pages
The introduction of the App Library means that you can have fewer Home Screen pages instead of several. It gives you the option to edit pages and hide them to achieve a clean look. Let me now show you how to hide pages from the iOS 14 Home Screen.
- Press in an empty area of the Home Screen. Or keep pressing an app icon until you see the minus button in the top left of all apps
- Tap on the Pages tab at the bottom. You are now in Edit mode.
- Uncheck the pages you do not want to keep. You need to keep at least one page
- Tap on Done. Tap Done again.
Just the Home Screen pages have been removed or hidden. The actual app and everything still stay on your device.
You can swipe right to left on the rightmost Home Screen to bring up App Library. There you have the apps. You may also pull down from the Home Screen and type to find an app.
Some Interesting Possibilities Due to App Library
- You can get rid of all Home Screens except one. This even removes the tiny dots which are above the dock, giving you a super clean look.
- Get rid of all Home Screen pages except one (steps above). Now, press on an app icon and tap Remove App → Remove from Home Screen (or Add to Library). Or, minus icon and Add to Library to remove from Home Screen. Repeat this process for all visible apps.
- You can remove all apps from the dock too. However, the dock color shade stays even if there are zero apps on it.
- You can have Home Screen with just widgets.
- From the super clean Home Screen swipe left to right to get to Today View. Swipe right to left to get to App Library
This is how to use iPhone App Library and have a beautiful, clutter-free Home Screen. Currently, it is just the first version. This feature will get polished by the time it is available for all users (most likely September). Some new options may be added, and some existing ones may be removed or tweaked.
You may want to take a peek at:
- How to Make Full Screen Siri on iPhone in iOS 14
- How to Use Sound Recognition in iOS 14 and iPadOS 14
- How to Use App Clips in iOS 14 on iPhone
- How to Use New Translate App in iOS 14