The default browser for macOS, Safari is one of the most popular choices for its privacy. It has improved a lot over the years, including features like reading mode, storing passwords, and prevent websites from tracking you. However, to run the browser smoothly, it is essential to update it.
In comparison to other apps, updating the Safari browser on Mac is a little tricky. Read on to learn how to install the update and why you need to do it.
Why do I need to update Safari in macOS?
Safari doesn’t receive as frequent updates as other browsers. Moreover, Apple releases updates for Safari alongside major macOS releases. Therefore, they include several improvements, new features, and bug fixes.
Additionally, an older version of Safari may not be fully compatible with the latest macOS and could potentially become a slowpoke.
Keeping the Safari browser updated means access to the latest features and protection against new security threats.
How to update the Safari browser in macOS Mojave or later
- Tap the Apple logo in the menu bar.
- Click System Preferences.
- Select Software Update.
- Check for new updates. If available, click More info.
- If the update for Safari is available, check the box next to Safari and click Insall now.
How to update Safari on Mac running macOS High Sierra or earlier
Unlike macOS Mojave or later, you don’t get the option to update Safari separately. Hence, you’ll have to install the macOS update to get the latest version of Safari.
- Look for the App Store in the Dock, or search for it in Launchpad.
- Click the Updates tab.
- Check if there are any macOS updates.
- If available, select Update now to download it.
- Wait for the Mac to install it.
The latest version of Safari for Mac is 14.0.3, and it’s available on macOS Big Sur.
You can’t. Although an older version of Safari for Windows is available for download, you cannot update it as Apple stopped developing the browser for Windows back in 2012.
The latest version of Safari for Windows is version 5.1.7, which was released back in 2012. There has been no update since then. Many users claim that the best version of Safari for Windows is 5.0.
Sometimes, the browser may not work properly if the latest update hasn’t been installed. See if the update is available. You can also try to Force Quit the Safari browser and relaunch it to check if it works.
There you have it. Wasn’t that easy? If you have any further queries, share them in the comments section below.
You may also want to check out our other posts on Safari:
- Safari crashing on Mac? 11 Ways to fix it!
- How to use Safari extensions in iOS 15 on iPhone and iPad
- How to hide IP address in Safari on iPhone and Mac
- How to announce alerts on Mac
Readers like you help support iGeeksBlog. When you make a purchase using links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read Disclaimer.