The iPhone camera shutter sound is galling when clicking a picture, especially in a silent room or meeting. Unfortunately, there is no toggle in iOS or iPadOS that lets you completely turn off the camera sound.
However, here are 6 quick ways to disable the iPhone camera shutter sound. Let us start with the easiest.
Note: The listed methods apply to all iPhone models unless mentioned otherwise.
- Mute the iPhone ringer to turn off the camera sound
- Turn volume down in Control Center to turn off camera sound
- Disable the camera shutter sound using the Live Photo
- Take a picture while video recording
- Connect a wired or wireless earphone and click a picture
- Play audio and take a picture with no audible camera sound
1. Mute the iPhone ringer to turn off the camera sound
The swiftest way to disable iPhone camera sound is to mute it. After this, when you snap a picture, you will not hear the camera shutter sound.
To mute your iPhone, push down the switch on the top left side of your iPhone.
After muting, you will see an orange color inside the mute button.
Now, open the Camera app and click a picture. There won’t be a shutter sound!
This will also turn off the camera shutter sound when you click a picture inside WhatsApp or other such apps.
Note: After you are done clicking, do not forget to unmute your iPhone by pushing the same switch up.
2. Turn volume down in Control Center to turn off camera sound
- Bring up the Control Center.
> On iPhone with Face ID (iPhone X and later), swipe down from the top right corner (where the battery icon is).
> On iPhone with Home button, swipe up from the bottom of the screen.
- Drag the volume slider to zero.
- Open the Camera and take a picture. No click sound.
3. Disable the camera shutter sound using the Live Photo
Live Photos are 3-second images that move and have audio. When you shoot Live Photos, there is no camera shutter sound (to capture the surrounding audio).
To enable Live Photo, open the Camera app and tap the icon with three circles. On older iPhones, when Live photo is enabled, its icon becomes yellow. On newer iPhones, the backward slash is no longer there. Click an image now.
Tip: Want to always click Live Photos? Turn on Live Photo from the Camera app. Next, open iPhone Settings → Camera → Preserve Settings → enable Live Photos. Now, you have set your camera to always keep Live photos on.
Note: By default, Live Photo is on. So, if you turn it off from the Camera app, it will be off the next time if the settings are preserved.
Did you know that you can click pictures while recording a video on your iPhone? And while you do that, there is no camera shutter sound.
4. Take a picture while video recording
- Open the Camera and swipe to VIDEO.
- Tap the red button to start the video recording.
- Now, tap the white button to click pictures while shooting a video. There would be no camera sound.
5. Connect a wired or wireless earphone and click a picture
Let me tell you straight up that this does not turn off the camera shutter sound but outputs them to the earphones. This means that people around you do not hear the unnecessary camera sound when you click a photo.
If you have a wired earphone, connect it to your iPhone via the headphone jack or Lightning port. If you have a wireless Bluetooth earphone like AirPods, connect them. Now, open the Camera app and click pictures. The shutter sound will be audible in the connected earphones and not the iPhone speaker.
6. Play audio and take a picture with no audible camera sound
This hack, too, does not kill the camera sound but makes it inaudible. To use this, open a music player of your choice and play a song. It can be the iOS Music app or a third-party music app like Spotify, Amazon Prime Music, Saavn, etc.
Next, open the Camera and click pictures. The shutter sound will hardly be audible. The sound coming out of the music app will overshadow the shutter sound.
This is how you can disable the camera shutter sound on an iPhone. The tips here apply to iPad as well. I hope this short guide was helpful.
So, if the iPhone camera shutter sound won’t turn off for you, restart your device and try these solutions. Before you leave, read the below.
Further note: In some countries like Japan and Korea, you are not permitted by law to turn off the camera sound while clicking a picture. This ensures that you are not snooping or secretly taking unsolicited pictures when the subject is unaware of your action.
More camera-related posts: