Started downloading an iPhone update and just read somewhere that it drains the battery or slows the phone, and now you want to stop it at any cost? Well, it won’t cost you anything! Read on to learn how to stop an iPhone update in progress.
P.S. – You can surely leave us some positive comments 😉 as a token of appreciation.
- Can you cancel an iOS 16 update in progress?
- Stop an update on iPhone while it is downloading
- Cancel a downloaded iPhone update
- Turn off automatic updates on iPhone
Can you cancel an iOS 16 update in progress?
Yes. While Apple hasn’t provided a pause or stop button, I have a trick to help you cancel the iPhone update. Getting an over-the-air iOS update usually involves two steps, downloading and installing the update.
Similarly, canceling it also requires two steps:
- Pause the download to stop the installation from starting and save data
- Delete the partially downloaded update, so it doesn’t restart.
Stop an update on iPhone while it is downloading
- While the iOS update is downloading, quickly open the Control Center.
Note: Check out this guide to know how to open Control Center on iPhone
- Turn on the Airplane Mode (plane icon).
The download will instantly pause as the connection is interrupted. Go to Settings → General → Software Update to test. Keep the phone in Airplane Mode until the next process is completed.
Note: While you are here, it is wiser to turn off Automatic Updates so that it doesn’t auto-start. Check out the process below.
Cancel a downloaded iPhone update
The steps to delete downloaded software updates are the same, whether the update is partially or completely downloaded (but not installed).
- Go to Settings → General → iPhone Storage.
Wait till the page is loaded; it may take some time.
- Once loaded, look for the iOS update file and tap it.
- Tap Delete Update → Delete Update again to confirm the action.
- Turn off the Airplane Mode.
- Check the Settings → General → Software Update to ensure it is back on the initial screen Download and Install button.
- If you want to download the iOS update for later but not install it, long-press the Download and Install button and select Download Only.
- Also, if you haven’t done it earlier, it’s time to turn off automatic updates. Read the next section to see how.
Turn off automatic updates on iPhone
- Go to Settings → General → Software Update.
- Tap Automatic Updates.
- Toggle off Download iOS updates.
Instead of turning off Automatic Updates completely, you can just toggle off Install iOS updates. This will allow you to auto-download the update when a suitable network is available but not install it. So, you can read the verdict of the update and install or delete it from the device as per preference.
For more awesome iOS hacks, check out the links below: