Incredibly low price + original AirPods Pro rarely go together unless they are used or refurbished. So if you are trying to stay away from those ‘fake AirPods Pro at a discounted price’ promises, this article will ensure you learn how to spot fake AirPods Pro.
The primary difference between fake vs. real AirPods Pro is their look and quality. To better understand where the compromises are made, keep scrolling through this detailed guide. I bet you will spot out certain differences within a few seconds of holding the device.
How to tell if AirPods Pro are fake
Real vs. fake AirPods Pro: Check the serial number
This is the most reliable way of authenticating your AirPods Pro. You can locate the serial number inside the AirPods Pro case and on the right earpiece. Keep it handy, and visit https://checkcoverage.apple.com. Enter the serial number in the given box.
An alternate way to find the serial number of your AirPods is;
- Open the Settings app on iPhone and tap Bluetooth.
- Tap the ‘i’ icon next to your AirPods Pro. This will redirect you to a new window sharing the serial number of your AirPods Pro.
- Visit the above website and enter the serial number to know the authenticity of your AirPods Pro.
Real vs. fake AirPods Pro: Internal and external diffusers
The original AirPods Pro don’t have any grey outline around internal or external diffusers. Unlike this, most fake AirPods Pro feature a grey outline/boundary around these diffusers.
Also, a significant change in size has been noticed. While the fake AirPods Pro flaunt large diffusers, the original set comes with comparatively smaller and neat diffusers matching black surroundings.
Real vs. fake AirPods Pro: Check L and R inscriptions
Some fake AirPods Pro that I came across were either missing the L and R inscriptions, or they faded away. However, in authentic AirPods Pro, you’ll always find them. Besides, they won’t fade unless you want them to.
Real vs. fake AirPods Pro: Sensor
A sensor on AirPods Pro serves to detect times when they are getting used and housed back in the case. While it’s an invincible part of the original set, you won’t find sensors on fake AirPods Pro. They can be found on the bottom side of your AirPods Pro.
Real vs. fake AirPods Pro: Wireless charging case
AirPods 2 and AirPods Pro support wireless charging. This can be a significant difference to tell fake AirPods Pro (or even real for that matter). Fake AirPods Pro don’t support wireless charging. To further authenticate, you can look at the front and rear of the AirPods Pro’s case.
The real AirPods Pro case has marginal depth on the flip, which is more profound on the fake AirPods Pro case. You’ll also notice the “Designed by Apple in California” and “Assembled in China” encrypted at the rear section. The text is visibly appealing and easily readable in comparison to the fake AirPods Pro case. However, this can be easily replicated. So don’t rely on this method alone.
Real vs. fake AirPods Pro: Color
Since its launch, Apple hadn’t introduced AirPods in any other color option than white. However, there are fake AirPods Pro models in the market available in different color variants. Though not that big, this can still be a primary point of differentiation.
Real vs. fake AirPods Pro: Charging port
The metallic outline encircling the charging port is slim and neat in the original AirPods Pro. However, the fake variants carry a thicker and bigger outline, which isn’t as neat.
Moreover, some fake AirPods Pro come with a USB-C port, while the original ones only carry a lightning port. Keep an eye on it.
Few other critical differences between real and fake AirPods Pro
- Connectivity: Authentic AirPods Pro connect much faster and easier than fake products. Besides, you also can’t miss the on-screen animation when your iPhone connects with the real AirPods Pro.
- Battery life: You can buy fake AirPods pro at a lower cost because it is made using obsolete raw materials. This perhaps is why you don’t get similar battery life with fake AirPods Pro as you get with real ones.
- Find my AirPods Pro: Apple’s in-built app won’t work with your fake AirPods Pro. This is a surefire way to check the authenticity of your AirPods Pro.
Save yourself from fake AirPods Pro, buy from trusted websites!
While there are several points like sound quality, but sometimes it’s difficult to understand the difference if you have never heard what AirPods sound quality is like. Hence, I covered only the most surefire ways to help you tell fake AirPods Pro from the real ones.
Do you have any other tips to spot fake AirPods Pro or want to share any such incidence? Share it in the comments below.
- AirPods microphone not working? Here’s the fixes!
- 12 best AirPods Max tips and tricks
- How to announce messages with Siri on AirPods