Lost or misplaced your AirPods? Use Apple’s Find My AirPods to find them efficiently.
Apple officially extended its Find My feature to AirPods a few years ago. Although not as efficient as iPhone’s, it can still be pretty helpful to locate your AirPods, AirPods Pro, or AirPods Max through Find My on iPhone, iPad, or Mac.
However, in order for the feature to work, it must be enabled on your Apple devices before your AirPods go missing. You can then play the sound or even track their location on the Maps.
Read on to learn how to find your lost AirPods smartly.
Note: The methods below work for all AirPods.
Table of Contents
Track your lost AirPods on a map using iPhone, iPad, or Mac
When you pair AirPods with your iPhone or iPad (that has ‘Find My’ service enabled), Find My AirPods will set up automatically. For most users, this essential security feature is turned on.
So, follow the steps below to find your missing AirPods using your iOS or macOS device.
- Open the Find My app on your iPhone or iPad.
If you can’t locate it, swipe down from the Home Screen and type the app’s name.
- Make sure you are in the ‘Devices‘ section.
- Tap the AirPods name.
- You can now see it on the map and directions to reach it.
- If you believe that the AirPods are misplaced somewhere nearby (like under the cushion, books, etc.), tap Play Sound.
- Your AirPods, if they are out of the case and in range, will play a tone that gradually gets louder helping you locate them.
Locate your AirPods using a computer
What if on some ill-fateful day you lose both your iPhone and AirPods? Well, if you cannot use your iOS or iPadOS device, you can find your AirPods using iCloud on a Mac or PC. Here is how.
- Visit iCloud.com on your computer and sign in with your Apple ID.
- Click Find iPhone.
- Click All Devices at the top.
- Select your AirPods from the list.
- Now, you can see the AirPods location on the map or play a sound to locate it.
What to do if you have misplaced only one AirPod
When the two individual AirPods are not kept together, the Find My app will show the location of only one AirPod on the map.
In this situation, grab the AirPod that you have, put it in its charging case, and close the lid. Now, use Find My app or iCloud.com again to find the misplaced AirPod.
How to find lost AirPods that are offline
Find My app or iCloud.com might show ‘No location found’ or ‘Offline’ due to any of the following reasons.
- The AirPods or AirPods Pro are inside their charging case (with a closed lid).
Note: AirPods Max are visible in the Find My app and iCloud.com for up to 18 hours if they are inside their Smart Case and 72 hours if outside.
- The AirPods are outside the range of any paired device like iPhone, iPad, Mac.
- AirPods are fully discharged.
In these situations, you can not play a sound on the AirPods. But you will see and get directions to the location the AirPods were last connected with one of your devices – that is, the last known location.
Once you get to this location, try to look for them. Additionally, if the AirPods come online, you will be notified of the same on your iPhone or iPad.
Bonus Tip: Use a third-party app to find lost AirPods
This only works if you believe in having misplaced the AirPods somewhere near (approximately within 10 meters). The steps below are ideal to find the lost AirPods in your room, office, etc.
- Download Wunderfind: Find Lost Device on your iPhone or iPad.
- Open the app and give it the necessary permission to use Bluetooth.
- The app will quickly start scanning for Bluetooth devices nearby. Tap your AirPods name.
- You will see a percentage. Move around your house. The closer you get to your AirPods, the percentage increases. Once you are near, you can look around for the lost AirPods.
This is how you can find your misplaced AirPods. I hope this guide was helpful. If you have further questions, you can reach me using the comments section below.
Find AirPods Charging Case: It is worth knowing that you can not find the misplaced AirPods charging case using the above methods. This is because the charging case has no wireless connectivity to make them appear in Find My app.
Buy replacement AirPod or Case: At last, if you cannot find them, Apple is happy to sell you a replacement AirPod or the charging case. For this, contact Apple Support and they will assist you further.
More helpful AirPods posts for you: