Sometimes screenshots are not enough to convey the whole picture! You need to record the entire screen or portions of it. For example, if you are trying to send tech support the repeated error you are facing, or maybe you want to record FaceTime video calls, or make a Mac tutorial for YouTube! The use cases are indefinite. So, without delay, let me show you three ways to record the screen on Mac.
Note: The steps below apply to all recent macOS versions, including Catalina and Big Sur. Similarly, you can follow these steps on any MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac, Mac Mini, Mac Pro, or other Macs.
- How to Record Mac Screen Using Onscreen Controls
- How to Record Screen on Mac with QuickTime Player
- Best Screen Recorders for Mac in 2020
How to Record Mac Screen Using Onscreen Controls
On macOS Mojave and later, pressing Command + Shift + 5 launches the screenshot and screen recording tools. This makes it effortless to record the entire screen or selected part of your Mac’s screen. Here is how.
Record the Entire Mac Screen
- Press together Command + Shift + 5.
- Click on the left icon of the second partition. It will show Record Entire Screen.
- Now click on Record. Screen recording will begin immediately. You will see an icon in the top menu bar.
To stop the recording, press Command + Control + Esc. Or, click on the stop icon in the top menu bar. On MacBooks with TouchBar, tap on Stop.
A thumbnail of the screen recording will appear in the lower bottom of the screen. Click on it to trim, share, save, delete. If you do nothing, the thumbnail will automatically disappear in a few seconds, and the screen recording file will be saved.
To chose audio for screen recording or set timer, etc. click on Options before step 3.
Record a Selected Portion of the Mac Screen
- Press Command + Shift + 5 together.
- Click on the second icon of the second partition of the toolbar. It says Record Selected Portion.
- Drag the mouse pointer to make a selection. Place the mouse pointer in the middle of the selection tool to drag it anywhere. Place the mouse pointer on the edges to decrease or increase the size.
- Click on Record. macOS will record only the screen inside the selected area.
To stop the screen recording, press Command + Control + Esc or click on the stop icon in the top menu bar.
Immediately Trim, Share, Save, and Delete the Screen Recording
After you stop the screen recording, its thumbnail appears in the bottom right of the Mac screen. Click on it to:
- Play the screen recording: Click on the triangle play button. You may also use AirPlay or play in full screen.
- Trim the screen recording: Click on the trim icon from the top of the window. Drag one or both ends to adjust the length. Click on Done when satisfied. The trimmed video will save automatically.
- Share the screen recording: Click on the share icon from the top right (or bottom right) of the window and choose an option.
- Delete the screen recording: Click on the trash can icon.
- Tap on Done to save the video.
Change the Screen Recording Settings on Mac
- Press Command + Shift + 5 to launch the screen capture tools.
- Next, click on Record Entire Screen or Record Selected Portion. After that, click on Options.
- From here, you can choose where to save the screen recording. For this, select a location under Save To. Click on Other Location to select your own.
- Under Timer, choose a 5 second or 10-second timer. Once you click on the Record, the recording process will begin after the chosen time period.
- Click on an input source under the Microphone to record audio with the screen recording. If none (default) is selected, no voice will be recorded.
- Finally, under Options, you can choose whether you want to see the thumbnail in the lower right of the screen after stopping the recording or not. You can also set it to remember the selections you made while using this tool the last time or use the default options. Finally, you may also choose to show the mouse clicks in the screen recording.
How to Record Screen on Mac with QuickTime Player
- Open QuickTime Player. For this, use the Launchpad, Spotlight Search, or go to Finder → Applications.
- Click on File from the top menu bar and choose New Screen Recording.
- The screen capture tools (similar to Command + Shift + 5) will open. Choose whether you want to record the full screen or just a selected portion. Finally, click on the Record to start the screen recording.
- To stop press, Command + Control + Esc or click on the stop icon from the top menu bar.
Best Screen Recorders for Mac in 2020
Besides the inbuilt tools and app, you can also record Mac’s screen using third-party apps. If you want just to record the screen, the above options are perfect. However, if you need more tools like if you are a video podcaster or streamer, it makes sense to invest in third-party screen recording apps. Here are some of the options to look at.
This is how you can record the screen on your Mac. You can play them in QuickTime Player, iMovie, Final Cut Pro, VLC Media Player, etc.
- The recordings are saved in .mov format by default. If needed, you can use one of the best video converter apps for Mac to export the file into the desired video format.
- The file name for the screen recording is in this format – Screen Recording Date at Time.
- Finally, some apps like DVD Player might prevent you from recording their window.
- How to Record Screen on iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch
- Best Screen Sharing Apps for Mac
- What is Other on Mac Storage and How to Delete It?
- How to Customize Safari Start Page on Mac