Let’s be honest; we all have certain photos and videos on our iPhone that we neither want to delete nor want others to access. This is where iPhone’s in-built feature to hide your photos using the Photos app comes to the rescue. Moreover, unlike before, you can also hide the hidden folder to make the content inaccessible.
But that’s not it! We have another way up our sleeves to help you hide your private content. Read along to find out.
- How to hide pictures and videos on iPhone
- How to hide the Hidden folder on iPhone and iPad
- Hide photos and videos using the Notes app
How to hide pictures and videos on iPhone
- Open Photos.
- Tap Select at the top right and choose the photos you want to hide.
Note: You can even select the photos from within an album.
- Once selected, tap Share at the bottom left.
- Scroll up in the Share Sheet and tap Hide.
- Finally, tap Hide [N] Photos to confirm.
Awesome! You’ve hidden those photos. These photos now appear in a folder called the Hidden Album in the Albums section.
Now, if you changed your mind and wish to unhide those photos and videos, read along.
How to unhide photos or videos on iPhone
- Open Photos and tap Hidden folder.
- Tap Select in the top-right corner.
- Choose the photos you want to unhide.
- Then, tap Share in the bottom-left corner.
- Scroll up to find an option called Unhide.
- Tap Unhide to make the photos appear back in your library.
Bonus: Here’s a cool trick! With iOS 14, you can even hide the hidden folder, so the photos and videos are entirely hidden.
- Open Settings.
- Scroll up until you find Photos.
- Tap Photos.
- Next, scroll up until you see a toggle for Hidden Album.
By default, it’s toggled on.
- Tap it to toggle off.
So, there you go! You’ve now hidden the folder along with the photos inside it. The folder will not be visible in the Photos app anymore. To see your hidden photos again, follow the above steps and toggle the switch on.
Alternatively, you can use the Notes app to hide your private photos and videos.
How to hide photos and videos using the Notes app
The Notes app comes with the ability to lock individual notes. This lets you hide your photos and videos by providing a layer of authentication. You can add your content to a note and create a password required every time to access those contents.
You can even add biometric authentication (Face ID or Touch ID) to your password-protected note to unlock it. Here’s how to do that:
Send your media content to Notes:
- Open Photos.
- Choose the photos you want to hide.
- Tap Share at the bottom left.
- Select Notes in the Share Sheet.
Note: If you can’t find it, tap More.
- Once done, by default, it’ll be titled New Note. You can tap it to choose where you want to save this note and also add a description.
- Finally, tap Save to save your media in the note.
Lock the note on iPhone:
- Open Notes and go to the note you created.
- Tap three dots at the top right.
- Tap the Lock icon to lock the note.
Note: If this is your first time locking a note, you’ll have to create a password and enable Face ID or Touch ID.
There you go! You’ve now created a locked note. Whenever you have to unlock it, you’ll have to use Face ID, Touch ID, or the password. So, make sure you don’t forget the password.
That’s how you can hide and unhide the photos and videos on your iPhone or iPad or even lock them away in the Notes app. Alternatively, you can even lock apps on your iPhone to avoid anyone from accessing its contents.
What do you think of this feature? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
- How to use the Collab feature on Instagram on iPhone and Android
- Change Slow Motion Video Recording Speed on iPhone
- 15 Best ebooks reader apps for iOS
- How to stop iPhone HDR from saving multiple photos