Love using the Notes app? You can further enhance your experience by locking notes on your iPhone and iPad as well as on Mac. This means you can set a password or use Face ID/Touch ID to access certain notes. It’s useful to keep notes secure, especially if they contain some sensitive information. Let’s check out how to password protect your Notes.
- How to Set Notes Password on iPhone and iPad
- How to Lock Notes on iPhone and iPad
- How to Open a Locked Note
- How to Remove a Lock from a Note
- How to Change Notes Password
- How to Reset Notes Password
How to Set your Notes Password on iPhone and iPad
To lock the notes, first, you have to create a password. This will be used to secure all your notes across the devices on which you use the same Apple ID.
Create a strong password, but do not forget it because you will not be able to access your locked notes if you do. There are two ways to set up your Notes password.
- Open the Notes app on your iPhone or iPad
- You can either tap on an existing note or create a new note.
- Now, tap the Share button and then tap Lock Note.
- Tap on Enter Password, now type your password, and tap on OK.
- Now tap on Lock icon from the top right corner to lock your note on iPhone.
- Go to Settings → Notes on your iPhone or iPad.
- Select Password and enter a password of your choice. This will be used for all the notes you lock, across all your Apple devices
- Enter the same password again to Verify
- You’re required to add a hint too, which will help you remember your password
- If you would like to use your face or fingerprint to unlock your notes, you can toggle ON Face ID or Touch ID, depending on which device model you have
- Finally, tap on Done.
After setting your password, you can quickly lock notes as explained in the steps below:
How to Lock Notes on iPhone and iPad
- Open the Notes app and tap on an existing note or create a new note.
- Tap on the Share icon at the top and then select Lock Note.
When you lock a note, it will stay open for a few minutes and you will notice that the lock icon appears as unlocked. Just tap that icon to close the note and hide its contents.
Then, you will not be able to see the content of your locked notes, but you will still see the titles. To view or edit a locked note, you will need to unlock it using the password you set or Touch ID/Face ID if available. The process is described below.
How to Open a Locked Note
- Open the Notes app and select the note you want to unlock.
- Tap on View Note or tap the Lock icon at the top right
- Use Touch ID or Face ID to unlock if available. Otherwise, enter the password you had set.
Note: You will have to type in your password at least once before you can use Face ID/Touch ID to unlock a note
Keep in mind that when you unlock any note it automatically unlocks all notes. They will all remain open for a short while to make it easy for you to work between them if you need to.
These notes can be locked again by tapping the lock icon, closing the Notes app, or putting your device to sleep.
You can also remove a lock from a particular note at any time using the steps below.
How to Remove a Lock from a Note
- Open the Notes app and select the locked note.
- Enter your password or use Face ID/Touch ID.
- Tap the Share button
- Tap Remove Lock.
If you choose to remove a lock from any of your notes, the change will take effect across all your devices on which you have signed in with the same Apple ID.
How to Change Notes Password
- Go to Settings → Notes → Password.
- Select Change Password.
- Type in your old password and then a new password.
- Enter your new password by typing it again, and add a hint to help you remember it
- Tap Done.
Note: If you use more than one account, remember to choose the account that has the password you intend to change.
How to Reset Notes Password
When you reset your Notes password, it will not affect the older notes that were previously locked. You will need your old password to unlock old notes or you can change the password as explained above.
Resetting your Notes password means that you will use a new password for all new notes going forward. Therefore, this can be a way to have multiple notes with different passwords. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to Settings → Notes and select Password.
- Tap on Reset Password.
- You will have to enter your Apple ID password.
- Now, tap on Reset Password again.
- Type in a new password and a hint to help you remember it
- Tap Done
Note: If you use more than one account, remember to choose the account that has the password you intend to reset.
So do you prefer to lock notes on your iPhone or iPad? Let us know in the comments below. Another good feature of the Notes app is the ability to restore deleted notes. Pretty nifty!