Group FaceTime Call on iPhone and iPad is undoubtedly a blissful feature that lets you connect with your near and dear ones, no matter how far you are from them. The free to use and easy to set up feature allows you to add up to 32 people in a single call. Isn’t that interesting! Let’s learn how to do Group FaceTime on the iPhone and iPad.
Before You Begin:
- Compatible iOS Version and Devices for Group FaceTime: It requires iOS 12.1.4 or later on iPhone 6s or later, iPadOS on iPad Pro or later, iPad Air 2 or later, iPad (5th generation) or later, iPad mini 4 or later, or iPod touch (7th generation).
- Earlier models of iPhone and iPad running iOS 12.1.4 can join Group FaceTime calls as audio participants.
- Make sure the toggle for FaceTime has enabled under the Settings app → FaceTime.
- How to Start a Group FaceTime Call on iPhone or iPad
- How to Add a Person to a Group FaceTime Call
- How to Start a Group FaceTime Call from the Messages App
- How to Join a Group FaceTime Call
- How to Add Camera Effects to Group FaceTime Calls
- How to Change FaceTime Audio and Video Settings
How to Start a Group FaceTime Call on iPhone or iPad
- Open the FaceTime app and tap on the Plus button.
- Add contacts using a name, phone number, or email ID. The contact can do FaceTime if it turns blue while adding. The added contacts will reflect in the To: Section. Keep adding people (Max 32) by tapping on the plus icon.
- Once done, tap on Video to start your Group FaceTime video call. Tap on Audio to begin a Group audio FaceTime call.
The added participants will be instantly notified to join the call. They can tap on it and join the group FaceTime call.
To leave the Group FaceTime call, tap on the red cross button.
Note: Leaving the call once it is started will only exit you. The remaining participants will stay active until they choose to leave.
How to Add a Person to a Group FaceTime Call
- Single tap anywhere on the screen while call’s in progress and pull-up the lower card for options.
- Tap on + Add Person.
- Add participants using their name, contact number, or email ID.
- Finally, tap on Add Person to FaceTime.
S/He will get a notification asking them to join the group call.
Note: It is easy to add a person who was a part of the group call but left it. To do this, tap once on the screen and swipe the bottom card. Tap on Ring next to the name or number of the person who left the call. They will get a notification asking them to join the call again.
Can you remove a person from a Group FaceTime call? No, a person can’t be removed from a Group FaceTime call. Though S/he can end the call from their end.
How to Start a Group FaceTime Call From the Messages App
If you do not have an iMessage group, learn how to create one here.
- Launch the Messages app and tap on the group conversation.
- Tap on the group photos or where it says [number] of People>
- Tap on audio to begin a group audio call. Tap on FaceTime to initiate a group video call.
How to Join a Group FaceTime Call
- You might get different types of notifications to join a FaceTime Group call. It may be like a regular phone call with names or numbers of multiple participants on top.
- From the Notification Center or the Lock Screen, you may also tap on the Group FaceTime call notification. Next, tap on the FaceTime video icon.
- If you get a FaceTime call in the Messages app, tap on Join.
- You can also launch the FaceTime app, tap on the active call, and then tap on the green-colored join icon.
How to Add Camera Effects to Group FaceTime Calls
While in a FaceTime video call, you can add effects like a memoji instead of your face. You may also add shapes, text, stickers, etc. to liven up the conversation. Here is how to use FaceTime effects on iPhone and iPad.
How to Change FaceTime Audio and Video Settings
During a Group FaceTime call, you can choose to turn off your camera, flip the camera, mute your microphone, etc. You will see the icons for these on the screen. If you do not, tap once on the screen (and drag the bottom card up, if needed).
- To flip the camera, tap on the camera icon with two arrows in it.
- If you wish to turn off your camera for FaceTime call, tap on the video recorder icon with a slash. Or, slide the card up and tap on Camera Off.
- To mute, tap on the microphone icon.
- Tap on a person’s video thumbnail. Next, tap on the two outwards arrows to see only that person’s video on the call.
- Tap on the round white icon to capture live photos during a FaceTime call.
This is how you can initiate or join a Group FaceTime call on iPhone and iPad. What are your thoughts on this fantastic feature? Let us know in the comments section below. Additionally, you may also like to take a look at our list of the best video calling apps.